Gas BBQ Grill Questions

:thumb:even better yet rob, find one lollygagging on the blvd, with a free sign on it, throw in the new burners, and you're that much farther ahead...:D

From what I've seen sitting on the curb around here, I'd be better off trying to patch up my old one. :p And as I said before, I'd still end up with a grill that doesn't cook evenly. After spending the past 10 years or so with one like that, I'm ready to step up to a better tool. I can make a bowl on a Sears lathe, but I enjoy making them on my Powermatic more. ;) And I use a grill about as often as I use my lathe, so it's worth it to me to have a decent one.

I've been seeing more and more reports of the Char-Broil grills rusting out within a couple years after the purchase. (Including one from a BBQ buddy of mine who I know takes good care of his grills.) These have not specifically been the RED models, but it seems like an indication of the quality of steel Char-Broil is using.

Dan, I've sent the guy in Van Nuys an e-mail message to see if it's still available. Looking at his past ads, he started at $300, went down to $250, and now today he's back up to $295. :huh:

I know you are looking for a gas grill Vaughn, but the Weber kettle grills do so good and last so long (I have and still use one that is over 25 years old), I have to bring it up. And for $300 or more less that the gas versions, that buys a lot of charcoal:) Yes it is more work than a gas version, more work to control the heat, but it is worth the hastle IMHO. I love getting up at 5:00am in the morning to light the grill and SLOW cook some pork for a 6:00pm supper:D this is what I use http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=4&mid=25

Jay and Tom, I've got the charcoal facilities already covered with my offset cooker when I want to use charcoal or wood. (It works great as a large direct heat grill.) I grill in a hurry often enough that charcoal doesn't cut it for me most of the time. I need something that gets to temp faster and doesn't take as much fussin', fiddlin' and cleanup.

Dan, I'm going to check out the used Weber in Van Nuys tomorrow, but if it doesn't pan out, I'm pretty certain a Genesis E310 will be following me home. The more I've looked at and read about the Char-Broil products, the more I've come to realize they aren't likely to last as long as a Weber. And tool buying has taught me over and over that quality wins out over bells and whistles.

Well, the jury deliberated and reached a verdict. The used Weber in Van Nuys was in pretty good shape, but it had some years on it. I decided I wanted something newer, so this guy came home with me Thursday afternoon...

Weber%20E-310%20-%20600.jpg

Nothing fancy, just a good, basic grill. Assembly was OK, although the instructions could have used more words. (I don't like pictographs for assembly instructions.) Despite the mediocre instructions, the excellent fit, finish, and quality really showed during the assembly. Did a test drive with a half dozen bone-in skin-on chicken breasts and a couple burgers. The old grill would have been flaring up bad enough to get the Fire Department worried. Any flare-ups on the new grill lasted less than a second, and the heat was very even everywhere on the grill. I'm a happy camper. :D

Great choice, Vaughn! Have one just like it!!

I upgraded from a Char-burn piece of junk. It's worth EVERY penny. I've added the rotisserie. Another great addition to my grilling. Takes about 5 minutes to truss up a couple of chickens, grill is preheated by then. In 1hr, 15 min. two great tasting and beautiful birds are done (if I remember to turn OFF the middle burner <DAMHIKT>).

As an added bonus, you can now be part of the Weber nation!

Enjoy...

My only comment is BIG GREEN EGG :thumb::thumb:

My son has two BGEs and loves them. They are expensive. His cooking is good so I don't know if credit can be given to the BGE or him.
We use the Webber kettle, on our second in almost 45 years. The first would have lasted longer but we used it for picnics at the farm and one day the bull decided it was a toy. :eek:
We have never done a turkey in the house. On the Webber, indirect, about 2 1/2 hours regardless of size. Juicy and tasty, yummmmm.