Casual request for some replacements

Chas Jones

______
________Just had to say Oak Ka, :)____Click on image for larger view.
________

I assume the one on the right is the original and the group are the replacements? Way to go Chas!!! A couple of years ago I turned some knobs for a lady that had her grandmother's chest of drawers and the family had looked for years but couldn't find the right style to match. I turned three for her and man was I a hero!! Felt good and she paid me more than I would have charged.

Hi Jonathan, got an awful feeling that when theses are delivered this afternoon the project is just going to grow, might just regret accepting the request:doh:.

Nicely done Chas! I think turning multiples is one of the most difficult forms of turning. Any one can turn "one" with a little freedom of design alternatives available.:rolleyes:

Chas those look great. I have to agree with others that duplicating free hand is difficult. I had a lady restoring some antique chairs that I had to make 7 spindles for different places on these chairs. She was ecstatic about them but I wasn't. Of woodturners are our own worst critics.;)

Thing I've found, is not to be too critical with hand turned dimensions, the odd mm or so (1/32" for you folks :p) in the minor features does not show in reality when the individual pieces are spaced well apart, if they are spindles closely spaced, selecting the most similar to sit adjacent to each other works most of the time.

I wasted 10 bf of wood, got hit several times, trying to turn 2 knobs, and the knobs I turned were so simple. I think turning identical things on the lathe by hand has to be a talent that only comes with tons and tons of practice.
I decided if I turn anything for furniture as in knobs or legs, Im going to make sure the room has poor lighting.
those are beautiful.

My shopsmith as a lathe duplicator available as an accessory.
I have no clue as to how it would work though.
Those are beautiful Chas.

The trouble with most of those accessories Bob is that they only work well for simple fairly slow curves, and being fixed single point tools do not always produce a sharp finish (torn end grain etc.).

Commercial copiers have high speed rotating cutters, like a glorified router, doing the actual cutting. Of course the latest machines are CNC.

For small batch work it would take longer setting the thing up than actually producing the bits by hand I suspect.

Very pretty and they look well matched to me, Chas. I also like the hemisphere-on-hemisphere design of the knobs (even though I don't think that was your doing).