Solid bottom drawer question

Hi there.

I'm working on the drawers of my seven drawer dresser ( pics to come soon) and I'd like to know whether I should leave the bottom flush with the back of the drawer or let it portrude a bit as in the pics to give more strength to the screw slot that fix it to the back side?

See explanatory pics.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• calaix01.jpg
    calaix01.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 54
  • calaix02.jpg
    calaix02.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 55
from the looks of the shadow on that one pic that shows the back of the drawer, it looks like he left the back of the bottom a tad longer than the end of the sides.

i have some old pieces here toni and they are left long as well but the sides extend past the back where in yours they are flush, so i would lean on flush yu have plnty of wood to anchor the bottom in the backs so another 1/4 inch isnt gonna make it much stronger.. and flush would look more right to me in this case

I dont know which is best but from a looks point of view i would make it flush. Must add as others have i like the look of those dovetails.:thumb:

And do i see that you have beveled the edge of the plywood enabling you to use a thicker piece as in the pics in Dons post from the old draw.

if you`re going to use ply then flush is fine.

I dont know which is best but from a looks point of view i would make it flush. Must add as others have i like the look of those dovetails.:thumb:

And do i see that you have beveled the edge of the plywood enabling you to use a thicker piece as in the pics in Dons post from the old draw.

Sorry guys, maybe I misled you. The bottom is solid wood, not ply, hence I need to make a slot for the fixing screw to allow for wood movement.

The thicknes of the drawer back is 1/2 inch that leaves only a brige of 1/4 more or less on the outer edge of the bottom. So...:dunno:

All the drawers that I have ever built or worked on were flush. I can't see any benifit to leaving them long. All your support and strength is inside the frame or the drawer anything outside of that is just extra.

Sorry guys, maybe I misled you. The bottom is solid wood, not ply, hence I need to make a slot for the fixing screw to allow for wood movement.

The thicknes of the drawer back is 1/2 inch that leaves only a brige of 1/4 more or less on the outer edge of the bottom. So...:dunno:

leave `em a tad long toni that way movement won`t leave the back open.

which way do yu have the grain running toni? if its parrelle with the draw sides the movement wont be in length but in the width direction. if yu have it the other way then yu will get a fair amount of movement.

which way do yu have the grain running toni? if its parrelle with the draw sides the movement wont be in length but in the width direction. if yu have it the other way then yu will get a fair amount of movement.

never a good idea to permit side-side movement!

never a good idea to permit side-side movement!

The grain is running parallel to the front, as the rules say, hence I need to make a slot at the end to put a screw in the back to allow for wood movement, hence my question about leaving it flush or with a bit of overhang to allow for the slot.