Peach Crotch Bowl

Jeff Bower

Sorry for only one kinda bad pic, but I used my cell phone to take it. This is from a hunk of peach Rex Bloem gave me back in May I finally got around to turn some more of it after the first vase I made. This stuff turns like butter and sands even better! The figure is pretty interesting too I think. I need to dig out the rest of it from my pile to get at it. Thanks again Rex!

This bowl is 6" at it's widest and about 4" tall. The wings are just under 1/4" thick and the base looks the same as the top rim, without a hole in it of course :). It soaked up lots of danish oil and will probably get a few more coats before it's over.

comment welcome....

Attachments

• p_00005.jpg
    p_00005.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 84
just awful jeff,, yu should send it to me after the final finish is on it for proper disposal:D that grain contrast is great and the wings are nice as well:D:thumb::thumb:

Peter, this was a smaller crotch so I just turned the whole thing into one bowl. Usually I do turn both sides, but the size and the fact that one side was a little punky led me to make just one piece from it.

Very cool, Jeff. :thumb: That's very pretty wood, too. I've got some small pieces of Rex's peach, but aside from a quick test spin of one piece, I've not turned any of it yet.

I always like to look at what people are making and I see alot of nice projects. This is one that I really like! The color in the grain is just super and the raised lip of the bowl just brings your eye right into it. Great job!

Tom

Like that execution, clean sharp lines seem to work well with the pronounced grain detail.

Love the rich colour of that wood, nearest I've managed is various oddments of cultivated plums, sure wished I'd been more wood-turning aware a few years back when so many fruit orchards were being grubbed out.

Jeff that looks great. I didn't know what peach looked like in side out. It looks a whole lot better that the tree. If that was the smaller one I think it was off the peach bush which had the small white peaches. Tart little buggers, but good flavor. Keep the pics coming please.

Hi Jeff, I really like this style of bowl and have been wanting to turn one myself for quite a while now. Could you provide some basic details of the steps that you took to turn the bowl?

Also, was the crotch significantly unbalanced while turning on the lathe due to the shape? I have a rather inexpensive Canadian Tire lathe and I'm worried that it cause too much shaking if I try to turn such an unbalanced piece.

Thanks,
Dawson