rubber feet on cutting board?

Tony Falotico

Do any of you use rubber feet (or any other material) on your cutting boards? If so, why or why not? And, any sources for them? These seem kinda pricey to me http://www.vermontbutcherblock.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=121

Also, anybody had an end grain board warp? I made my first one out of hard maple & bubinga. Finished with Salad Bowl Finish cut 50% with mineral spirits, just like the Wood Whisperer. It was flat when I finished sanding it, warp has been within the last 72 hours. Is this normal? It has been VERY humid down here the last couple days.

As you probably guessed, the feet question is to solve the warp issue.

Thanks for any help you can give, Tony

Attachments

• 100709_725 (800 x 536).jpg
    100709_725 (800 x 536).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 30
Tony, I've used rubber feet on only one or two boards, at the request of the person buying it. I just bought them at the Borg...I think they were a little less expensive than those in the link you posted.

I've had a couple end grain boards warp, but they were relatively thin (less than 3/4" thick). I'm not sure why they warped, and in one of the cases it moved back to nearly flat after a couple of days. I ended up doing some selective belt sanding to get them close to flat again.

I've had a couple end grain boards warp, but they were relatively thin (less than 3/4" thick). I'm not sure why they warped, and in one of the cases it moved back to nearly flat after a couple of days. I ended up doing some selective belt sanding to get them close to flat again.

Thanks Vaughn, this one is just shy of 1 1/4" thick. I'll let it sit for a couple days and see what happens. If it doesn't un-warp maybe I'll try sanding the center down on the bottom so it doesn't wobble.

I'm still curious about the feet though, seems that rubber feet would make it stable and keep it from sliding on the counter top.

I have another one that's just over 1 1/2 inch thick that I'm going to try a juice groove around the edge. It was purpleheart, but I sanded the purple out! Hope it comes back as bright as it was! :huh:

Tony,

I put some on our cutting board. They are clear and I got them at the local Ace Hardware store. They stick on and are about 1/8" thick.

Tony, the only reason I've not used feet on most of my cutting boards is to allow either side to be used (or displayed). I'm sure the feet will actually make the board easier to use. We have tile countertops, and I have to put a towel on the counter to keep my cutting boards from rocking or sliding in use. Feet would eliminate that need.

I've made only a couple of cutting boards and did not use rubber feet on them. I sit the board on a towel on the counter to use it. Either side can be used this way.

Toni, on the lathe, a purpleheart pen will pop the purple color after sanding if I warm it up with a paper towel (get it almost hot, warmer = more color). So, wonder if you put a paper towel on a OS and run over it if it will do the same thing???:huh::dunno:

Toni,
If you have good sunshine, sit the board on the patio for an hour or so... PH is photosensitive and sunlight will bring up some of the color... also just letting it rest for a while should bring back a good amount of color.... I use a lot of PH in making my peppermills and don't really have much problem with them browning on me... but then I do spin the on the lathe while sanding, so it will generate a little heat. A microwave also helps if you can fit the board inside. Not too much heat though... the wood will smolder from the inside out and I have to tell you that microwaved wood that is about to catch fire smells worse than burnt microwave popcorn...:D:D (DAMHIKT)....

Tony, I've never had any of my end grain boards warp but humidity is not usualy a problem here in the desert...:D:rofl:

Don,
I remember way back in June '94 when I moved from Houston (humidity normal 90%) to Tucson I think the humidity was almost 10%... I remember the temp was 106 when we were unloading the truck and it actually seemed cool to us in comparison to about 90 deg in Houston. When July and the monsoons came, humidity went to about 30% and the swamp coolers didn't work so well.... which I found strange since my Dad who lived about 90 miles south of Dallas used a swamp cooler all summer with pretty good results. Our town house was dual cooler so we could use the AC during monsoon, then switch back to swamp coolers after the rains.

Rockler has them for $3 + change. Borg as well... I picked up two 100count bags w/o screws for $0.50 each. I don't use them for cutting boards but "what the heck?" at that price, I have already used a bunch on other applications, Put several under iron umbrella stands to keep them off the new concrete padios, replaced rotten ones under the foot control of my trolling motor, gave several to frends for their needs.... :thumb:

I don't understand why they are such high priced items :huh: I assume it is because they know that WWers will spend more to "Finish off" their projects.

The flea market guy had a box full but I bought a buck's worth "just because" had I known how many uses I would find, I'd have bought more.