Replacing belts on my Rockwell 46-451

Tom Baugues

I'm starting to use my new (33 years old) Rockwell 46-451 lathe and have been hearing the belts sqeaking alot. Everything is working just fine (reeves drive works well) but I want to replace the belts. I noticed tonight that one of them still has the Rockwell part number on it from when they were new, so these are the original belts that came on this lathe back in July of 1977 when this lathe was built. The manual I have says that they are 65 OC and 37 OC. I'm not sure what OC stands for??? I'm assumming that the belts are 65 inches long and 37 inches long. Would I be guessing right here?

Tom

I'm starting to use my new (33 years old) Rockwell 46-451 lathe and have been hearing the belts sqeaking alot. Everything is working just fine (reeves drive works well) but I want to replace the belts. I noticed tonight that one of them still has the Rockwell part number on it from when they were new, so these are the original belts that came on this lathe back in July of 1977 when this lathe was built. The manual I have says that they are 65 OC and 37 OC. I'm not sure what OC stands for??? I'm assumming that the belts are 65 inches long and 37 inches long. Would I be guessing right here?

Tom

See my reply to Wes's problem... if you need belts, check out the belt store.

BeltS? Plural? On a Reeves drive? I would like to see a picture of that set up.

Here you go Frank. This is the Reeves drive pulley setup inside my Rockwell 46-451 lathe. Belt on left goes down to the motor and belt on right goes up to the headstock spindle pulley. It all works very well. I just think that the belt going down to the motor is dry and is the cause of the squeaking.
Thanks Chuck for the link to the belt store. I should be able to find something here locally I'm sure. I was just unsure what the "OC" meant in the manual. Maybe it means "outside circumference"? I'll just take it off and take it with me to be sized.

Tom

Attachments

• 01 Reeves Drive resized.jpg
    01 Reeves Drive resized.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 31
BeltS? Plural? On a Reeves drive? I would like to see a picture of that set up. Yes, any belt after all these years is wanting replacement.
My Sears lathe had two belts, too. One from the motor to the Reeves drive shaft, then the Reeves drive belt itself.

Tom, try giving the belts a squirt of PTFE Dry Lub, never caused any problems with my reeves drive lathe when I had it, quitened the drive down no end and did not result in slip.

Here you go Frank. This is the Reeves drive pulley setup inside my Rockwell 46-451 lathe. Belt on left goes down to the motor and belt on right goes up to the headstock spindle pulley. It all works very well. I just think that the belt going down to the motor is dry and is the cause of the squeaking.
Thanks Chuck for the link to the belt store. I should be able to find something here locally I'm sure. I was just unsure what the "OC" meant in the manual. Maybe it means "outside circumference"? I'll just take it off and take it with me to be sized.

Tom

OK, interesting set-up. Thanks for pics.