Day Three of Hollowing

Dan Mosley

I finished up one hollow form today which i started the day before. The wood was a pc of walnut someone had given me (see pic #1 below). I had a couple problems with the vessel though.
First, was as i was rough turning it i noticed a couple of very long cracks in it. I decided to go ahead and make a vessel out of it anyway because it was good and dry. When i was done i just enhanced the cracks and made more then filled them with black dust. It was about the only thing i could think of to do with it.
Second issue was that without thinking about it, I didnt leave enough stock sticking out to create a narrowing bottom like i would have wanted to. Instead i had roughed it down to the chuck jaws......ahhhhhhhh well learning curve time.......In the end im not very happy with this one in Pic 1 but i finished it out as a learning experience.......

Picture 2&3 - Ran out of time but left it chucked up and this time i remembered to leave enough to be able to create the bottom the way i want. This one has no cracks in it but does have some interesting inclusions. Again, this is a dry pc of some kind of wood that i was given so ill be able to finish it right off when i get the hollowing completed - for now because i was running out of time I left it in a rough state.

Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Vessel-1.jpg
    Vessel-1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Vessel-2.jpg
    Vessel-2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Vessel-3.jpg
    Vessel-3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
This must be Day Three V2.0. You posted "Day 3" yesterday, too. :p

The finished piece looks pretty cool to me. I can relate to the form issues you're seeing and the learning curve you're experiencing, but it came out pretty darned good. The filled cracks came out looking pretty cool, too. Is that a walnut collar on the opening?

The piece on the lathe is showing good promise. I like the form so far. :thumb: