Hi from South Carolina

Rick Prosser

As usual, I am doing things in the wrong order. Here is the info I posted in an earlier thread:

I grew up in SC, got my Electrical Engineering degree from USC, married for 30 yrs, 2 kids (grown). Moved to Atlanta for 8 years, and am grateful to be back in SC now. I have enjoyed working with wood for many years, but never had a shop. Mainly have worked with a few hand tools and a circular saw on basic projects. Recently purchased a lathe and started turning wood. Decided to buy some land, build the shop first, then the house - so we are renting a double wide during the construction activities. Now I have a lifetime of projects to do with the land clearing/maintenance, shop and home building, and perhaps some farming as well. Still working my full time job as a project manager hoping retirement is still a possibility at some point. I play bagpipes, like photography, am a HAM (AB4MG), and enjoy singing Barbershop. Most of the hobbies are on hold for now until the shop is finished.

I will start a thread on my shop build which started in Jan-09 when the land (50+ wooded acres) was purchased. Getting ready to pour a footer for a retaining wall, then put up a pole building with concrete floor.

Last edited:
well we dont mind if yu have the cart before the horse here:) glad yu got a shop in the works,, we all like to see shops go up:) and some of us might be bale to help yu side step a few pitfalls:) so if in doubt ,,ask the forum and they will help if they can. and once again welcome

Welcome Rick. I am confused :huh::dunno: (some here might say that is my only state of mind!:eek::doh:) but you said you were pouring a footer for a pole building?:huh::huh: Around here we pour a footer for a block wall, but usually only level the building area, dig the holes and insert poles for a pole building. Just wondering. Again, welcome, and before they sic the pic police on you, no pictures means nothing happened. :eek:

Bob - I was a member when I was singing with the Stone Mountain Chorus in GA. I hope to maybe get set up with a quartet sometime in the future...

Jonathan - Because of the slope of the lot, I am having to put in a footer/retaining wall on the lower side. The pole building will set poles on the wall with anchor bolts on that side, and be placed in the ground everywhere else.

Mark - are you related to my wife?:huh:;)

I understand the requirement for photos, so see my other thread :type: It has the proof. (and will be updated as things progress)

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15992