79 out of 4221

I see 243 registered voters.

Yes, more members voting is always a good idea, but many choose not to vote :dunno:

I'm very happy that we have 79 members who do concern themselves enough to vote.

Cheers!

first part of your answer jon,,, not all of the members are registered. and to give yu another comparison,, how many citizens do we have in the U.S and what percentage vote? as for a problem, well i tried to get the word out for folks to register early on and Don Baer has tried to knock on there doors during the vote..:huh::huh::huh:

first part of your answer jon,,, not all of the members are registered. and to give yu another comparison,, how many citizens do we have in the U.S and what percentage vote? as for a problem, well i tried to get the word out for folks to register early on and Don Baer has tried to knock on there doors during the vote..:huh::huh::huh:

The answer to that is about 50% of those eligible are registered to vote. Of those registered about 50% actually bother to vote. Sad. Won't say more lest we stray into the political arena.

Okay, I should have registered so I could vote... I vote in most of the major elections in my area... I saw the call to register, but didn't right away and I'm guessing by now too late... where do I go to register for next election?

I vote in every town,state and federal election there is but I would never vote on this forum. The reason is simple...there are no bad people on here as there are no bad mods.

I also know there are two sides of this website, the half most of us see, and the other half the mods see and deal with. What would happen if a mod was to look at the voting record and see that I didn't vote for him and instead for another person? Would they feel bad or slighted? Probably and it would be unfounded. I could just never choose between anyone. Everyone is great and would do great as a mod. (and yes I have had posts deleted so I have been been on the receiving end of mod censorship...no big deal in the long run).

Lets see Vaughn or Frank? (Example only)

Ummm...both are great people, guess I won't vote that way I don't make either upset for not voting for one or the other.

Okay, I should have registered so I could vote... I vote in most of the major elections in my area... I saw the call to register, but didn't right away and I'm guessing by now too late... where do I go to register for next election?

right here is the directions chuck for next time,,,

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2603

THE VOTES CAN NOT BE SEEN BY ANYONE IN THE MEMBERSHIP, and its good for all that participate here to get a chance to do the dishes if yu so choose to..most days there arent any but somedays yu get baked on food in the bottom of the pans.. but so is life

Last edited:
Travis,
for what it's worth, even the mods cannot see the exact votes, only the tallies. It Is a secret ballot.

Jon,
I for one am fascinated with this forum's true democratic form; this is a Democracy in action. the Mods are elected from the population, and are 'answerable' to them. They take great pains to make sure that what they do is per the constitution and that the members are treated fairly (in regards to moderated items and the continuation of the forums at least). As a former (future?) moderator I'm heartened to see that we have people voting to continue the tradition.

This is a difficult subject to comment on without falling foul of the coc since voting inevitably brings about the question of politics.

But to me having grown up in a country where democracy was not prevalent I guess the issue is you first have to experience going without the right to be able to appreciate having the right and then realize that democracy dont function if you dont participate and assume some of the responsibility to at least determine the people who govern.

I suppose if one were to get technical not that i wish to see this happen here, one could say well we should have an option on the ballot that goes something like none of the above. Given that one right one has that we do not record is the right to spoil your vote and thereby have a protest vote. In that manner you are still counted but and have had your say. The same would go for abstention. If those two were there then we would record all those that participated whether they voted for against or abstained.

But Jonathan the point you raise is worth debate without us venturing into the political arena.

One of my very first significant volunteer positions was the formation of a Yatch Club and the drafting of a constitution for the said Yatch club. We had a club of over 120 boats actually Catamarans (Yatch Clubs in the old boys fashion did not use to recognise Cats as boats with sails "my dear boy" you can imagine where that hailed from)

We used to organise a monthly regatta and out of 120 paying members we only regularly had 20 and at very best for really major events 40 participating members.

So its not surprising that the turnout is what it is not everyone that has joined will participate like some of us do. Not everyone has the time or access to a computer and not everyone has the desire. As an example i have joined other forums not related to woodworking from time to time since joining here and done so just to access info that requires registration. I have never been back but i guess i would count among their members. This huge membership number would only be relevant to me if there were advertising issues at play and since we are commercial free no big deal.

Good point you raised thought worth some discussion to see different views.:thumb:

Well that is good to know. No more excuses then, I guess I must vote. I still would hate to exclude anyone though. I like everyone on here, and if they want to be a mod, they should be one. We certainly need them, we got people like me on here! :D

I kinda feel Ive burdened the guys I voted for moderator. They dont get paid, they have to watch everything posted here, and sometimes, have to act like a kindergarten teacher when tempers flare a bit.
I dont envy any moderator, on any website. Its work.