stuco patch?

Al killian

OK, I gotten into yet another fun project.:( Doin some trim replacement on the outside of the house and noticed that some of the stuco was cracking and comin off. Well after tearing into it I found they stucoed over the cement board?:huh::dunno: So for now I plan to patch the area and let a contractor redo the wall. Will useing a bonding prime work to get the stuco the stick to the cement board?:wave:

...Will useing a bonding prime work to get the stuco the stick to the cement board?:wave:

Are we talking scratch & top coats, or just topping? If it's thick enough for scratch and topping both, then consider nailing on some chicken wire. The 1" stuff works well for patching. Nail or screw it up, then put on the scratch; wait a day or two; then the top coat. Texture matching can be challenging, though.

Stucco over cement board is a common practice. It's generally used to ensure a flat substrate so the stucco doesn't move as much. Regardless of whatever method you use stucco will crack and the idea is to limit it as much as possible by using control joints.

It you're going to have to have it redone next year I would recommend using Sto. Get in touch with their local area rep and ask them for names of contractors they recommend. The Sto system is the only one that offers any sort of warranty on the stucco.

Thanks Patrick. After given the owner the number of problems found on inspection of the outside coating(stuco,wood trim, stuco board) he going to put the house on the market come spring time and move on. Must be nice to live in a house for 15 years then move on when it is time for repairs. Heck his whole subdivision has lawn service, pool service and snow removal. Nice thing is, they are willing to pay for someone they trust.:D:thumb:

Larry, I will get you better pics on wensday.