Big'uns

Randy Wynn

Man this one was bigger than I thought!! I won't let this happen to me again :lol: 8)
Zi6_0541.jpg

Zi6_0547.jpg

Zi6_0548.jpg

Zi6_0549.jpg

:D Man, I sure starting to really think about charging for heavy :lol: Everything this customer ordered is thick N wide. It's ALL too much for one man, or at least this one man :lol: It is some pretty timber. He didn't want it q-sawn.

Man I sure do hate doing this!!! I had to take the guards off for the extra clearance. But it works on me to do that. There's no telling what would happen if that blade was to break. As soon as I got it so that I could replace them I did just that.

Zi6_0553-1.jpg

Zi6_0575.jpg

Zi6_0578.jpg

had a few bigguns cut myslef this year:) fun arent they:) cant belive that guy didnt want gtr outa that one yu need good sized logs to get good gtr, and that one definatly qualifies..:thumb::thumb:

The max capacity of the mill seems to be the problem with the big'uns. You have to do too much creative chain saw work to get the thing through the mill. I had some cherry cut a couple of months ago and lost a lot because the mill couldn't cut the width of the log. The mill also didn't have hydraulic load and position capability, so it was hand crank the winch and lots of cant hook....not doing that again!!

Attachments

• DSC04621-c.jpg
    DSC04621-c.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC04633-c.jpg
    DSC04633-c.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC04642-c.jpg
    DSC04642-c.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC04634-c.jpg
    DSC04634-c.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 72
Larry..the log had a bit of a crook in it and that pic was when we were turining it looking for the best way to cut....looks like some kind of cannon!!

The max capacity of the mill seems to be the problem with the big'uns. You have to do too much creative chain saw work to get the thing through the mill. I had some cherry cut a couple of months ago and lost a lot because the mill couldn't cut the width of the log. The mill also didn't have hydraulic load and position capability, so it was hand crank the winch and lots of cant hook....not doing that again!!

HI Ted and all, I got almost 200BF out of the slabs once I got done with the logs. I got around 550BF out of the log plus the 200 from the slabs. I like the big logs but not this big.

had a few bigguns cut myslef this year:) fun arent they:) cant belive that guy didnt want gtr outa that one yu need good sized logs to get good gtr, and that one definatly qualifies..:thumb::thumb:

I did all I could do to get him to let me Q-saw it. He didn't want anything to do with that. Had it been my log, thats exactly what I'd of done with it. I think logs that big are ez'r to Qsaw than to flat or rift saw. That way you can do it so that your only have to deal with one quarter at a time if you so chooes. I Qsaw them a little different than that, but you can do it that way. I have been wanting to use blackpowder but I think I need some leasons first LOL. I've seen it done but need to see exactly how it's done. It work well. You lose some lumber, but you save some time. Unless of course, you blow yourself or someone else up LOL.

Last edited:
Randy, I agree with you that quarter sawn would have been the way to go with that big log, the wood from that would have been really outstanding! :D

Yeah Stuart Ablett it kinda got the better of me, as to why he didn't do that. It would have made the lumber stronger ,prettier and lots more valuable. You still get some Qsawn lumber out of every log, but not enough to be worth fooling with. When the logs belong to me and there that big,... they get Qsawn or they don't get sawn. Aint no sense it doing it half way, if your in it for the money.

Thank you David Freed. It is some pretty wood when it's fresh off the mill. It don't take long though and it'll look 50 years old but it will also have another 50 to go in most cases:thumb:.