Big'uns1

Randy Wynn

:eek: We bit off a mouth full with this one. I can't imagine how some of you folks with manual mills do this with out the help of heavy equipment. I wouldn't even attempt this if I did'nt have the overhead hoist. I love the big logs as long as they don't expect them to be done in 15 or 20 minutes.

Zi6_0318.jpg

A little trim work :)

Zi6_0504.jpg

Gettin closer, this is some pretty wood.

Zi6_0517.jpg

More pix coming most of the ones that we took yesterday got trashed.

we have a pair of wooden ones and have got one of them broike and patched now so was lookun at gettin a nother one,, frank without one yu dont move logs very easy. and they are great for cuttin firewood too yu cut part threw roll it over and no dirt on your chain..also yu can witha good peebie and some chocks and aset of ramps roll logs onto a trailer by hand fairly easy and i mean some good sized ons 18" to 20" class ten to twelve ftrs..two people

Last edited:
Frank, Larry misspelled it. Its called a Peavey, named after the man that invented the Peavey back in the 1800's. It has quite the following, both for the river drivers then, and the loggers of today. In fact 150 Years later the Peavey Manufacturing Company is still in business and still makes peaveys.

"A logging tool description from the Lumberman's Museum at Patten, Maine, reads in part: "A cant dog or cant hook was used for lifting, turning, and prying logs when loading sleds and on the drive. At first, a swivel hook on a pole with nothing to hold it in position was used. This was called a swing dingle. In 1858, Joseph Peavey, a blacksmith in Stillwater, Maine, made a rigid clasp to encircle the cant dog handle with the hook on one side. It moved up and down, but not sideways. All loggers have used it ever since."

http://www.ruralheritage.com/jump.cgi?http://www.peaveymfg.com/

It is a credit to the members of this forum, the moderators, and the CoC that I can open a thread with a title such as this and not be afraid of what might pop up on my screen. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW - nice log.