Home built dog house I purchased:)

Erin Reichelt

My neighbor (Rhonda) and I ordered dog houses from this guy about an hour out of town. We went yesterday and picked them up, there HUGE.

The guy makes them in different sizes but we ordered his largest size, 4 feet x 4 feet. I ordered the Barn House Deluxe and Rhonda ordered the barn style with a gable roof, both painted red and white.

It took both Rhonda's Husband and my Husband plus 2 neighbors to unload our dog house and get it over my 4 foot fence to get it in the back yard. It won't fit through the gate and that thing is very heavy.

It has a double floor with insulation in between and it's made heavy duty.

Here's the pics of Luther and Lana in there new dog house It was hard getting them to stay for the pictures, they wanted to clobber me and play not stay in the dog house. lol

DogHouse001.jpg

DogHouse003.jpg

Aww, I made them lay down so they would stop coming in and out back and forth clobbering me. lol Poor dogs have it so bad :rolleyes:

DogHouse004.jpg

DogHouse006.jpg

DogHouse007.jpg

The dog houses are so big both Rhonda's kids were in hers like there own little fort. lol I will get pictures of Rhonda's dog house later with her 2 big mastiffs.

Normally, the guy sells these dog houses in this size for around $200-$230 but the guy was having a sale so we got them for $150ea!

I'm going to put carpet inside so it's cozy and slide it to the other side of the patio where I want it. I'm happy! The dogs have a nice house that will keep them warm and dry this winter. It's much better then there big plastic dog house that's not insulated and they don't really fit in together (well, they squeeze in there together but it's tight and they can't turn around very well).

So, I think the term "in the dog house" isn't that bad when you have a dog house the size of this one No more fighting over who gets to be in the dog house, there's room for both of them with room to spare. lol

I always wanted a dog house like this but I never got around to building one and I'm sure mine woulden't have turned out so nice. lol

Thank You, Darren :)

I made it myself......ummm ok so I didn't lol I wish I could take credit for making it! Someday I will have all the tools to tackle a project like this. Right now I don't have the tools to make building this easy and fun.

The guy builds dog houses, kids play houses and sheds. He has really good prices and is nice to talk to. I'm happy I came across one of his ad's on Craig's List.

During winter I let the outside dogs in the laundry room and put a blanket down so there warm at night. There plastic dog house just doesn't cut it in the winter time to keep them warm.

So, when I came across this dog house with the insulated floor, big enough for both of them to sleep comfortably and for such a good price I couldn't pass it up. :) I'm going to put carpet in it and a blanket and they should be just fine staying out side in there new dog house.

I posted a thread on the horse forum I chat on. They said that they have seen dog houses like this sell for $500! So, I guess depending on where you live you could make some money off these if you build them yourself.

My neighbors dog house is really cute too. It's just like mine but with a gable roof. She has Mastiffs so there's more head room with the gable roof.

While I was at the guys house I brought a sketch of the storage boxes I'm looking to build. I gave it to him and explained what it was, size, function and that it needed to be built strong to hold 1,000lbs of hay cubes. Also, of course it needed to be water proof, sealed and a lip built around the lid to keep rain out. He's going to check prices on 3/4 ply wood and get back to me with a quote.

If he gives me a good price on building the storage box I will order them from him. I have a feeling if I build it myself it might not get done in time to save me any money on feed because the prices go up the farther into winter you get.

So, I'm hoping he can quote me a price that's good and I can just go pick one or two up in a week and be ready to get a load of cubes soon before prices go up more.

Having built a snow cave or two, I know that you don't want too big of a space or too large of an opening (too much space to warm up with your body). Also, I think dogs tend to feel better with a space that is sized right for protection (nothing can get behind them). What all of that is for a dog, I have no clue. I did find this website for sizing a doghouse to a dog. It might be interesting for others thinking of building their own.

http://europuppyblog.com/item/2007/11/what-is-the-perfect-doghouse-for-your-dog

i agree with bill on sizun the space to heat with your self and the dogs i have had in house's, there own!,, do tend to like closer gtrs.. but i think yours is fine as it is and sure is sharp design erin..

Bill, You do have a good point. I was thinking this house might be too big for my dogs and maybe I should have ordered a smaller size. Especially when we got there and saw just how big they were in person! lol But, with there other big dog house they play "king of the dog house" and won't let the other dog in.

Eventually the other dog will jump in and the whole dog house shakes and moves while both dogs are trying to get comfortable squeezed in there. It's hilarious if they hear something and both try to come out at the same time! There both in there barking and trying to turn around or get out but there stuffed in there. lol All you hear is barking, toe nails scratching and the dog house rocking until one falls out, then they both take off for the fence to bark at what ever they heard. lol

So, I figure with this one at least they can both get in and out easy and come summer time it's big enough so both can go in a take a nap with out getting over heated. They really like there dog house and prefer to take naps in it together if they can so I'm hoping this will work out great for winter warmth and summer nap time.

I think I will get a sheet of that thick clear plastic for dog doors and put a flap on the door to help keep the heat in for winter and take it off during the summer.

Depending on what part of the country you live in, a dog house that large may require some auxillary heat.
That aside, they look real comfy for the mutts.
Good price too. I'm a thinkin' that he didn't make much, if any, profit.

Erin, check out these custom doghouses. I thought I have seen everything!

http://www.k-9kondo.com/index.html

Does not have the charm of yours, but very interesting.

That's pretty neat. I like the door idea but I don't think all dogs would like it. I have a "little Giant" feeder, it's a metal bin with a flap on the bottom the dog pushes to get to the food. It stores 50lbs of dog food and gravity re-fills the bottom bin. Some of my dogs were fine pushing the metal door but others didn't like it as all.

After a while I got sick of the clanking of the metal door all the time at night so I put a screw in the metal flap to hold it open, no more clanking.

So, that's what I would worry about with that metal door on that dog house, creeking, clanking and so on at night. I would want one of the soft thick rubber flaps instead of a metal door.

Ohh, here's the guys Website if you want to take a look. He makes some of the cutest play houses too!! Two of my neighbors are going to order play houses from him too. He's getting alot of business from my neighborhood:) His prices are really good too compared to the company I got my Western Tack shed from, there play houses are $1,500-$3,000 but they have patios on the front. If your just looking for a cute kids playhouse for a good price this guy is the way to go.

http://www.anthonysplayhouses.com/