Whoops......... Minor Gloat........

Stuart Ablett

I was surfing around Yahoo Auctions here (no Ebay in Japan) and I found a Stanley #75 Bull Nose Rabbet Plane on the cheap, I figured it might go cheap or it might go expensive, I looked around and found I could get a new one (not a Stanley, but a clone) for about $35 or so, so with shipping a fair bit more than that. I put a bid of $30 in and forgot about it, as there was a week to go. I remembered to checked in about an hour before the end of the auction (no sniping here) and I saw that 11 others had bid on it (it started at $7) so I figured that I'd not get it, as it was already up to $27. I just checked now and guess what, I won it for $27 :dunno:

I don't have a bull nose plane of any sort, so I figure this will be a good addition to the arsenal......

75_Bull_nose_rabbet_plane_1.jpg 75_Bull_nose_rabbet_plane_2.jpg 75_Bull_nose_rabbet_plane_3.jpg
...... I would bet the shipping will be about $5, so the total will be about $32, if it is not damaged or cracked, I think I did OK.

These steel non-Japanese planes do not come up that often on auction here.

Cheers

I got the plane last night, it was very well packaged, and it looks like a very good example of this little plane.

bullnose_plane_right.jpg bullnose_plane_left.jpg bullnose_plane_bottom.jpg bullnose_plane_bed.jpg bullnose_plane_parts.jpg bullnose_plane_chips.jpg

Some pics, I think it looks good.

Oh yeah, I only had to pay about $3 for shipping, so total cost to me, $30 or so :thumb:

A bit of a clean up, and then a honing and I'm betting it will be good to go!

Today, while down in the Dungeon working on a few things, I got time to give this little plane a tune up.

I just used some fairly coarse sandpaper on a piece of granite tile I have to flatten it, did not take much at all. I then sharpened the blade to the point of it being VERY sharp indeed.:thumb:

No75_bullnose_plane_flat_bottom.JPG
All nice and flat, but I had a problem...........

No75_bullnose_plane_trouble_1.JPG
....... it would only go about 8 or 9 inches, then dig in and stop, it would not move. The chips would impact so hard.........

No75_bullnose_plane_trouble_2.JPG No75_bullnose_plane_trouble_3.JPG
........... I had to use a screwdriver to get the out..... :doh:

After looking at it for a while, and adjusting it back and forth, I figured out that the chips where hitting the front of the cap that has the thumbscrew in it, that holds the iron in place, so I ground that down to a knife edge, and.........
No75_bullnose_plane_fixed.JPG
......... the chips came off the plane no problem.:headbang:

No75_bullnose_plane_fix_detail.JPG
Hard to take a picture of it, but it is now not impeding the flow of chips out of the plane.

Cool little plane, I don't know how much use I'll have for it, but it has been a learning experience for sure!

...After looking at it for a while, and adjusting it back and forth, I figured out that the chips where hitting the front of the cap that has the thumbscrew in it, that holds the iron in place, so I ground that down to a knife edge...

Ironically, that part is called the chip breaker, Stu, and 75's are notorious for having that problem out-of-the-box. Your fix is the recommended one, btw.

Nice find mate. Do you see much in the way of nomi, kanna etc on the yahoo auctions site? I'm interested if i can find any tools from a retired or deceased carpenter and give the tools some new life

Ironically, that part is called the chip breaker, Stu, and 75's are notorious for having that problem out-of-the-box. Your fix is the recommended one, btw.

Nice to know I can figure some stuff out :thumb:

Nice find mate. Do you see much in the way of nomi, kanna etc on the yahoo auctions site? I'm interested if i can find any tools from a retired or deceased carpenter and give the tools some new life

Yeah sure Patrick, that is how I got all of my chisels, I buy a bunch of old tools off of Yahoo and then refurbish them. I've done this for several guys, I'll PM you and we can set it up, if you like, you really can get some great deals, if you are not stuck on having a matching set of chisels etc.

Cheers!