Acrylic Pens

Well had to get started on some pens today. I am in the process of doing 26 of them for my employee's and their wives to give to them when I retire for all the hard work and sticking by me thru thick and thin. There is no greater bunch than what I have and is going to be one of the things I will miss most. The job I am done with but the people well you know.

These are Wallstreet II Click pens from Woodcraft and are acrylic blanks from Woodcraft. They are easy to do with only needing one blank. These were done with a skew after I nipped the corners off with a roughing gouge. There was no sanding. I just buffed and assembled them. The first one is a dark purple, cobalt blue, chocolate covered cherry and pink. Believe it or not the hot pink one as the LOML calls it sells the best of any pen I make. I have sold aobut 30 pens in the last 3 or 4 months and 22 were the hot pink. I just ordered 20 more blanks.

Attachments

• Acrylic Pens 1.jpg
    Acrylic Pens 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Acrylic Pens 2.jpg
    Acrylic Pens 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 43
I'm with Toni, the blue one is to my taste, but I can see how some would like the Hot Pink one, you would not misplace it any time soon :rolleyes: :D

They look great Bernie, and I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Have you thought about getting them laser engraved? :dunno:

Cheers!

Bernie, great looking set of pens.

I agree, pink in any shade is a hot seller, especially in the sierra kit. The kit and color fit the women well.

I take it an extra step in that anything in my booth, pens, decals, key rings, mugs that are pink, any shade of pink gets a contribution to the Cancer society when sold. I've also given many survivors pens this year and my congratulations to them for what they have endured.

Doug

Thanks. Yep Vaughn from the skew to the buffer. I think I finally got it down.

I haven't tried going directly from the skew to the buffer yet... I think I could after watching Ed Brown over on the IAP at a demo a couple years back... I still like to lightly wet sand, then polish with the Hut PP... don't usually buff mine.

Those are great looking Bernie... I think the Purple one would be my better seller... I try to stay away from the Acryllics, but every time the wife and I visit the local Woodcraft, she'll pick out a few and insist I make them... she pays for the blanks so I don't argue.:D

Those are very nice Bernie!! :thumb::thumb: I donate pens to the "Relay for Life" in our county for them to silent auction them. The bubblegum pink seems to be the hot color here. Pete Simmons here does a wonderful job of lasering, that would really personalize them for your friends. Either way, very nice pens and should be appreciated for years to come.

Thanks again all. Thanks for the tip. I will check into get them lasered. I did donate a half dozen of the pink ones to the breast cancer relay they had here for a silent auction. They went for a good cause and the cheapest one bid on sold for $65 with the high of $87.50 so went for a good cause.

Doug that is a good idea and think I may incorporate that. Anything pink a portion will go to the Breast Cancer league.

Lookin' good. I don't do many synthetics but when I do, I wet sand with some special pads for plastics or Micro Mesh then buff.
I have given pink to survivors but haven't sold or donated yet.
Click styles are important. Which reminds me, I have never made a clicker and I'm missing markets. Folks like salesmen, nurses and others like them for one handed operation.

Great Pens and finish. I am with Stu and Toni on the blue one....but then I have always had a thing for the color blue.

Its not only turner that have loupes. I use one when i am sharpening. Incredible to see the detail in the honing of an edge.:thumb: They are so cheap too for the benefit.

Looking good Bernie! Just curious, are you turning these pens one at a time? I recently realized that if I bought an extra set of bushings, I could turn two of them at the same time. It sped things up dramatically when doing large quantities.

Looking good Bernie! Just curious, are you turning these pens one at a time? I recently realized that if I bought an extra set of bushings, I could turn two of them at the same time. It sped things up dramatically when doing large quantities.

If speed is your objective, I suppose that technique will work. But a long mandrel will flex, even a regular one does. That means your turned pens are something other than round.
For all pens over 7mm, I use the 'no mandrel' method and only do one half at a time. Slower but definitely better.