Bandsaw - Grizzly vs. Delta vs. Jet

I am thinking about getting a 14" band saw for the shop ... don't have a tonne of money to spend and I've been looking at the following 3 models. I'd like to hear thoughts on which is the best deal or which people think I should go with for one reason or another.

Also, does this Grizzly band saw ever go on sale? Should I hold out until it does (on Amazon or their site directly)?

#1 - $399 Delta (model #28-276) 3/4 HP available at Lowes. I don't think this comes with any fence. I could pick this up at the store so no shipping.

#2 - $435 + shipping (approx. $510 total) Grizzly 0555. 1HP Comes with fences and everything I think I need to get up and running. Riser block available for only $70 more ... quite a bit cheaper than the Delta.

#3 - $550 + shipping Jet 14" 3/4 HP. I don't think this comes with a fence or mitre gauge.

I'm leaning towards the Grizzly at this point. I am located in New Brunswick, Canada so the best option would probably be to have it shipped to an address in Maine and then drive over and pick it up. Anyone have any shipping addresses or other options of how I might do this? Are there any Grizzly resellers in Maine or do you have to order off the web?

Thanks.

I just went thru the same thing your doing and ended up buying the GO555. I think you get the best bang for the buck with that bandsaw. Plus it has 2 speeds. Very smooth running and the base is rock solid.

Of those three I think I'd go with the Grizzly, too. They have a good reputation...not the best saw in the world, but great performance for the price. Seems like a very solid tool with good service if something does go wrong.

I don't have any advice on the shipping and delivery question. I do know Grizzly doesn't have any resellers (anywhere), although they have a sister brand, Shop Fox, that is sold through tool dealers around the US. I don't know if there are any Shop Fox dealers in Maine, and couldn't tell with a quick Google search.

Shop Fox makes a 14" bandsaw (the W1706) that's similar to the G0555, but has a few upgrades. I have one, and when I bought mine I was looking very hard at the G0555, but by the time I included the mobile base, riser block, and shipping, it was only about $50 less than buying the Shop Fox from a local dealer.

Grizzly claims the G0555 is the biggest selling bandsaw in the world. Dunno how accurate that is. But, I am very happy with mine. As you found out for yourself, you get the biggest bang for your buck from Griz. On the same budget, I would make the same choice again. With more budget, it would be the 'X' model or I'd jump up to a 17" 'X' model.
You might be in luck, Griz often has a Christmas sale, about 10% off. Dunno if this item will be one in their catalog but since it is so very popular, I'm guessing it probably will be.

Thanks Frank, I'll keep an eye out for any Christmas sales.

Do you guys find that the 6" riser is really nice addition? Do you find that you need the extra height quite often?

Also going to be looking at bandsaws...

Does the riser make the saw less stable? I would think it would be better to get a saw that was already as big as you need (space wise), rather than having to extend a shorter one? :huh: Maybe there is a big cost difference?

Does the riser make the saw less stable? I would think it would be better to get a saw that was already as big as you need (space wise), rather than having to extend a shorter one? :huh: Maybe there is a big cost difference?

You are right on all counts. Bigger is better. Small with riser might be less rigid. Bigger also means big cost difference.
Is the riser really a good thing? I'll let you know when I unpack and install mine. Only had it six months.

Rick, (and Dawson, too)
You make a good point. I have a Laguna 16, with 12" resaw capability, and also a TaiChi 14" - no riser - and 5½" resaw capability.

My relatively limited experience with 14" saws with risers on them is that: (1) they tend to be a bit 'springy' in the frame when the riser is added; (2) they're much more top-heavy, and more prone to tipping unless they're on a wide base; and (3) they're under-powered.

For an only slightly higher price (currently $795, plus shipping) the Grizzly G0513, with 17" throat and 12" resaw capability is sure worth looking at. It has a 2 hp motor, and a bigger table, sits on a solid base, and is quite stable.

You can always run thin blades on the big saw, but you really can't run the wider (¾+) blades on the smaller one. The G0513 with a ¾" Woodslicer blade will cut 1/8" veneer all day, with great results.

What ever you buy, make sure it is a even sized saw. I bougth the grizz 17" and now regret it as I have to order tires and other things thru them. Cant run down to woodcraft and pick up a blade if I snap one.

I've only used my 14" saw with the riser, so I don't know if any flex was added because of it, but for my uses, I couldn't do without the riser. At least half my cuts seem to be deeper than 6". While most of my cutting has been bowl blanks and such, I've also used a 1/2" Woodslicer and resawn workable 1/8" veneers on it.

I'd love to have a bigger steel frame saw (and hope to have one in the future), but this one has done well for me. At the time I got my saw, the cost difference was enough to sway me to the smaller saw with a riser.

I own the G0550. I don't use it very much, just for slabbing 12" and smaller logs. I bought it 6 years ago with the riser kit.

The bearings on the motor went out this past spring. I don't know, but I would think it should have lasted longer.

If I had not bought it, after using both the Jet and Rikon "Deluxe 14", The Rikon would be in my shop! It resaws 13". I realize that it's cost (799.99) makes it the most expensive, but let me ask you a question. Do you want the possibility of a $200.00 payment within 2-3 years to keep it running, or are you looking for something that will hold up for at least 10 years (We beat up an 18" at woodcraft for the 7 years I worked there and , if I had had the money, I would have bought it when we closed.

Having bought many "inexpensive" tools throughout my life, I have finally learned that you can't beat QUALITY products. Manufacturers are ALL making money on the product and there are only two ways to reduce selling price. The first is Quality and the second is service. Over the years, many manufacturers have changed their quality standards. Some are; Jet - "Powermatic" line was one of the top quality products - now it is sold by the big box stores at half or less the prices that they used to get. Both Delta and Dewalt were bought out be Black and Decker, a manufacturer for DIY, not quality Craftspeople. And Craftsman has many derogatory nicknames

My suggestion, after all of that, is to buy the BEST QUALITY you can afford. If at all possible, test drive them, too.

Just my opinion here, no Axe to grind - I bought my G0500 because it was on sale and I was traveling through Springfield, Mo., so did not have to pay freight.

Bruce

PS: Didn't see the comments about riser blocks. Riser blocks DO add spring and unless installed VERY accurately, can cause inaccurate cutting. My opinion again, but I believe the 13" capacity without a riserblock is the way to go.

Last edited:
What ever you buy, make sure it is a even sized saw. I bougth the grizz 17" and now regret it as I have to order tires and other things thru them. Cant run down to woodcraft and pick up a blade if I snap one.

How often do you need tires? My 1981 TaiChi saw is only on its second set, and my ten year old Laguna 16 is still on its originals. BTW, I'm pretty sure Suffolk has tires for your 17".

As for blades, Suffolk (Timberwolf) and Highland Hardware will make any size you need, and they're generally better blades than any of the off-the-shelf hardware store blades.

Rob,
Take a look at the Kreg fence. It's a really nice one, and at around a hundred bucks, isn't too bad, pricewise.

That said, I got by with just a piece of angle iron and a couple "C" clamps for many years.

Funny you should mention it Jim...thats exactly what i did.:thumb::D Got my Kreg at a WW show. I do find the fine adjust on it rather gadgety when you consider the kerf on the blade and how cutting on the BS goes.

Having bought many "inexpensive" tools throughout my life, I have finally learned that you can't beat QUALITY products. Manufacturers are ALL making money on the product and there are only two ways to reduce selling price. The first is Quality and the second is service. Over the years, many manufacturers have changed their quality standards. Some are; Jet - "Powermatic" line was one of the top quality products - now it is sold by the big box stores at half or less the prices that they used to get. Both Delta and Dewalt were bought out be Black and Decker, a manufacturer for DIY, not quality Craftspeople. And Craftsman has many derogatory nicknames

My suggestion, after all of that, is to buy the BEST QUALITY you can afford. If at all possible, test drive them, too.

very sound advice!
i`ll add that often times a person is better off buying quality used equipment than "new" price driven equipment.

Hi Vaughn ... why is it that you usually need the riser (ie. 12") when shaping your blanks for turning? Would this mean that you typically turn bowls that have a depth greater than 6"?

Thanks.

Hmmm, There is no sales tax here in New Hampshire. I don't know how buying it in Canada and shipping here would help money wise but you are welcome to ship it to my house and pick it up here. I'm probably 8 hrs south of the Northern Maine line though.
If I can help just let me know.

Hi Vaughn ... why is it that you usually need the riser (ie. 12") when shaping your blanks for turning? Would this mean that you typically turn bowls that have a depth greater than 6"?

Thanks.

I often start with blanks that are over 6" thick. The bowl or hollow form might not end up that deep, but the blank often starts that deep. Plus, not all my blanks have a nice uniform shape. Even the little 4 1/2" tall ironwood hollow form I posted the other night started as a blank that was taller than 6".

HF055 - 06 600.jpg

Thanks for the offer Bob, I really appreciate that. Unfortunately, it wouldn' get me out of paying taxes ... they get you when you come back across the border with it. However, it could help with shipping since I think I need a US shipping address (or that would at least make it cheaper).

I actually might need to head down to Chester, New Hampshire in the next week or so ... do you know how far you are from there?

Thanks for the photo Vaughn, that helps to explain things. I am also planning on using my band saw mostly for blanks so accurancy issues by using the 6" riser are not really a top concern. I mostly want it just to snip and round out blanks.

I am a little concerned about some comments earlier on the irregular sized band saw blades? I'm not sure if I have any shops around here that make custom blade sizes ... does this mean that if I break a saw blade the regular stores wouldn't carry replacements?