What is a plane ?

Rick Prosser

I am not quite that uninformed, but close. ;) They seem to be really neat tools.

In the past, I have been mostly utilitarian based with woodworking. Basic bookshelves, coat racks, etc that work well but would never be classified as fine furniture. Used power saw, power sander, power drill/screw driver. Did I mention power tools?

I recently started turning, and now I am "getting into" the wood and working my way into the finer side of woodworking, so I am trying to learn as much as possible while building the shop. Using hand tools when appropriate would seems to be more enjoyable than powering thru for speed.

I know what a basic plane looks like, and I know it is used for smoothing wood - but every time a read another posting or article, there seems to be a new title/version for it::huh: Jack plane, Jointer plane, Scrub plane, Smoothing plane, Block plane, etc. Then there are frogs, totes, chipbreakers, etc.

If I want to start to learn to use a plane, how should I proceed? Buy one (which one), make one (which one), find a class, find a tutor, wait until later, buy a book/DVD, YouTube, or don't bother since power tools made planes obsolete? :dunno:

Really starting from scratch with this...

Oh where to start. I guess you should read Patrik's, "Panes blood and gore". Go to this site to start.
every shop should have a few. I only two but they can make your life easier. Very often I can grab my block plane or my Jack plane and accomplish a task faster then it would be for me to take out and set up one of my power tools. Plus nothing is more satisfying then making curlies that are paper thin and the only noise you hear is the soft swoosh, swoosh. I can get a finish using a plane that requires no sanding. I recently used my jack to flatten a table top in very little time that other wise would have caused me to take the same top down to someone with a wide belt sander, pay them 100 dollars and taken me half a day to drive over waite and bring bring it back to the shop.

Check these out

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/1273861.html

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/hand/block-plane-basics/

http://www.handplane.com/wooden-bench-plane-basics

And if you really want to know how many planes are available...

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan9.htm

You opened a can of worms and "Fightin' Words" to some :eek:

Belay the idea the Hand Planes are a thing of the past or replaced by powertools, as although I do most of my work with powertools there is seldom if ever any work done w/o a hand plane of some sort slicing wood, I keep a small block plane in my work apron pocket as I will constantly find a need.

Rick, I recently inherited a few planes and I want to learn how to use them at some time as well. Thanks for asking, now I have a starting point!

And thanks to all who relayed info too. :thumb:

Thanks for asking the question Rick. Ya got the main boys giving you the best advice.

Hey Don thanks for your post now i have the economic justification for that there jointer plane i bought on Ebay and paid too much for. Heck it would have cost me as much to get my benchtop sanded and that would have only been a one time use. I still have the jointer for another project. :D:rofl::rofl:

Rick no body warned you this is a vortex equal to them spinny things. Now you have been warned. Ask Toni and I ......ebay + planes = poorhouse but lots of fun.

I posted some of my amateur experiences recently just look up my posts i dont feel comfortable with quoting them here. But you will get an idea of what i have been through with sharpening and playing with two planes also the tips i got on how to buy them on Ebay.

Bill you just disclosed another source for planes on ebay thanks errr i am not so sure about that.:D:thumb:

Given the fact that you still in the building of your shop stage Rick you have lots of time to be a patient buyer and shop carefully. I paid the price of being overzealous but wanted to get my bench done.

Rick, follow this <LINK> to see some of the many ways that yu can get hooked into this vortex..:) it happens so fast yu dont realize it,, and if yu get to where yu really use them its over yur dun fer:)

Apart from all that has been said, I would define a plane as a blade holder.
A handle holds a gouge blade in a specific way, a different one holds and axe, and a different one holds a knife blade and so forth.

So a plane is a different "handle" for a blade, if you look at it under this perspective there is no mystery at all, but lots of fun building and using it.

Wow! I now have something (else) to do in my free minutes watching concrete dry and stuff.:rofl:

Just shows how great a tool the forum(s) and internet can be. :thumb:Thanks

Thanks for the vortex warning :eek: - jeez, I wonder if falling into another vortex will cancel them out?

PS: I figured that "obsolete plane" comment might catch some attention:D

NO !

Thanks for the vortex warning :eek: - jeez, I wonder if falling into another vortex will cancel them out?

They do not cancel each other out-they magnify each other:eek::D:wave:

DAMHIKT:D Makes me dizzy at times. Not sure if I have more planes or turning tools. Oh and wait til you get to hand saws;).

Man 'O Man....did you step into it. :eek:
Gotta disagree with my friend, Rob when he said, "...... this is a vortex equal to them spinny things."
This vortex is MUCH-MUCH WORSTER than the spinny one. These guys are seriously addicted. Just watch their eyes when you mention some old plane. The only reason I follow these threads is to keep an eye on some of them so we can jump in and help before they really go over the edge.
Approach subject with caution.