Forstner bits...help

Rob Keeble

Well I need some help and recommendations on a decent set of forstner bits. I just had cause to return my Lee Valley HSS bits cause they had an issue. They willingly offered to replace them and even brought out several sets to review but they were all made the same and i wasnt about to have to take a second set back.

Now i am once bitten twice shy. I just want a good general purpose set can anyone vouch for any you use.

Wish i had taken pictures of mine before returning them cause its worth knowing about how these so called HSS bits were made. Personally i think the guys out in the east are taking LV for a ride on this one. Guys at the store were supprised to see brass in the middle:eek:

+1 Freud. I am bothered by the LV problem but have received the rare "you're kidding" quality of product from them as well. Return was no issue and mostly their stuff is great.

I have other cheap sets that I use as beaters. A set of 16 from Rockler for $30; about what you would expect. An MLCS set that went dull pretty quick. I have a half dozen or so of specific sizes or Freuds purchased separately for specific tasks. These have been used for years with an occasional touch up on the most used bits with a file. They cost a few times as much but last many times longer. Cost vs. value.

Forstner bits

The 2010 Fine Woodworking Tool Guide rates the FAMAG brand forstner best overall and readers choice. I have no experience w/the Freud or FAMAG forstner bits just thought I throw this out.

Jack

The 2010 Fine Woodworking Tool Guide rates the FAMAG brand forstner best overall and readers choice. I have no experience w/the Freud or FAMAG forstner bits just thought I throw this out.

Jack

I think that's 2 in a row for Famag which is good. I may have to give one a try sometime. At $40-odd bucks for a 2" they aren't cheap but they are not out of site for a quality bit either. Street price on a Freud that size is about half of that but I'd still like to give the Famags a whirl.

I have both the Freud (a set in increments of eights), and a number of FAMAGs, in 16th between the eights. Both are equally good.

I had some Lee Valley bits also and they were not good. I replaced them with the FAMAGs.

Mike

[I also have some cheap ones in very large sizes (above the Freud set) that I got from MCLS. I didn't pay a lot for them but I don't use them much so they're okay.]

I have a full set of Mag-Bits (1/4" up to 2-1/2"). I got these almost 20 years ago and they have been good performers.
The problem I have is trying to find inexpensive hole saws that work. I have a box full of cheap junk ones. Lenox seems to be the best I've used so far.

mike yu mentioned the frued set by 1/8ths from where to where in size.. and i have a small set of cmt that are good too. been wanting to increase the arsenal but have help off ,,now i am glad,, i will see what shakes out here first:thumb: forum info is great!!!

mike yu mentioned the frued set by 1/8ths from where to where in size.. and i have a small set of cmt that are good too. been wanting to increase the arsenal but have help off ,,now i am glad,, i will see what shakes out here first:thumb: forum info is great!!!
Larry - the Freud set goes from 1/4 to 2 1/2. It's item FB-100 and I got it from Amazon a long time ago.

MLCS had a sale on some "spoiled" merchandise (small amount of rust), and I bought a big set which goes from 2 1/4 to 3 1/8. They're Chinese made but I don't use them very much.

The FAMAG's are good, also.

Mike

I havent used many sizes of forstners in my 3 years of woodworking, but have drilled a zillion 1.5 inch and similar size holes for candle holders in over 20 species of hardwoods. I was never thrilled with the bits after a bit of use, but I always purchased cheap generic bits. I bought some Amana Timberline forstner bits, Ive never been happier with such great performance.(I also have some Freuds, no complaint either)