Which one LV or LN ...?

Which Low Angle Block Plane would you buy?

• Lee Valley Veritas DX60 Low Angle Block Plane

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Lie-Nielsen Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stuart Ablett

I dropped by my buddy Sugita san's place today, he lives very close to the Aparto, to talk about possible classroom space for Garret Hack if he can do a demo. While we were talking, I noticed a new shinny thing sitting on his bench, one of these.......
ln_la_block_plane.jpg
...with a whole garbage can full of tissue thin shavings :D

Whoa baby, what a nice piece of kit! :headbang:

>> Lie-Nielsen Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane $165 <<

The thing is, I've also been looking at and drooling over the newer Lee Valley block planes.....

lv_la_block_plane.jpg
... the one in the back, the black one, not the polished one.

>> Lee Valley Veritas DX60 Low Angle Block Plane $179 <<

The small difference in price is not of concern, and on paper the two planes are very similar, the LV plane is a newer design, and seems to have a few more bells and whistles on it, also, being that it is made in Canada, and I'm a Canuck, I would be inclined to support my own countrymen, nothing against Lie-Nielsen.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have the Veritas plane, and if you can give me your review of it?

I have a regular cheap Stanley block plane, for normal stuff, but I've been wanting a low angle version. This would be part payment for the Aparto work, so there is the possibility that I'd even spend the extra $100 for the premium version of it, but then again, maybe not :dunno:

I know both are going to be very good tools, I've seen the LN unit, and used it, OMG is it nice, but that has me thinking about the LV plane too...

Confused in Japan.... :bonkers:

Stu

The new LV Plane

I have the LN low angle block plane and LOVE it. I use it all of the time.

HOWEVER, I had a chance to try out the "new" LV DX block plane and was VERY impressed with the heft and the way it fit in my hand. It just feels like an extension of you hand!

I also liked the set screws that center the blade. That's a feature I would have found useful on the LN.

If I had to do it again, I think I would have gotten the LV.:thumb:

Thanks Dominic, that is what it is looking like to me as well, add to that, I do need to order some stuff from LV anyways.... :rolleyes:

The LN is so very sweet for sure, I could not believe it when I stroked it across some nice Hinoki and boy you could read through the shaving :eek: :D :thumb:

I have neither, and no plans to buy right now, but put it this way... I have a LVT store right here in town, so I can go look at one, handle it, and talk to someone about it.

So it's pretty obvious why I voted the way I did... :wave:

I have the LN because back when I bought it, it fit my hand better than the LV. But now, LV has a new low angle which is more the size of the LN. So I can't tell you which would be better - you need to feel them.

Mike

I am no plane expert but would not be without my LV block plane but this one.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32685&cat=1,41182

I saw and handled the new ones at the last ww show i was at and prefer my version and it has an adjustable mouth and opportunity to add a handle and knob which i did.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=41715&cat=1,41182

I found the new ones rather small and narrow and i dont consider that i have big hands so the feel was just not right to me. There is a lot of design though that went into the new ones. I would suggest if it is at all possible try get your hands onto one of these before you buy.

If it was "Speed Racer" just to be "Speed Racer" I would not like that, but I understand that in this case, it is more of a "Form Follows Function" thing.

(Speed Racer is cool too :D )

I believe that it is mainly an intention of moving away from a classical look or copy from Stanleys, oposite to what LN do.

Besides, I can see a clear intention of giving a uniform appearance to all their tools, black bodies, brass nuts, bare steel, and bubinga handles. They convey the sense of "family" very well.

The racer appearance is too strong IMHO.:dunno:

I've ordered the Lee Valley NX 60, yes the premium one, I figured if it is on Grama's dime, why not spend the extra money and get the one I really want :dunno:

As my buddy has the LN unit, I'll be able to do a side by side comparison at some point. :thumb:

Cheers!

Since I don't have someone wanting/willing to buy me one, I wouldn't buy either. Of course I am not a tool junkie either, no offense to those that are.

I would call up Walt Q. at Brass City tools and buy me 2 or 3 old 'knuckle busters' Stanly's and tune them up. All I care about is the end results and unless there are some huge improvements they will all make shavings. And I find the knuckle buster style more comfortable. And since I use mine all over the shop I would rather have 3 of the old ones laying around.

Just another example of how I never fit the majority on these forums.

LV is certainly extending the envelope in plane design and the blade is thicker than the LN. These new ones certainly catch the eye. But I prefer the LN plane or even the older model LV. I currently use a Record block plane and have a couple of Stanleys as well.

I am curious if the gaps in the fore part of the LV sole will catch material while in use. Looking forward to your report after your first curlies.

Cheers,

05p7001i2.jpg

Stu,

I am in agreement with Jeff. I'd rather buy a few older planes that I will use than spend all that cash on one that looks too pretty to get finger prints and dust on. :dunno:

JMHO.

Enjoy your new plane.

Aloha, Tony

Oh I'll enjoy my new plane for sure, and don't worry, it will get used, but not abused.

The "Used Plane" route certainly has merit, but I've yet to see one used low angle block plane on auction here yet, so where would I get these multipul LA used planes, E-bay? :huh: Great, then I have deal with sellers who will NOT ship to Japan, or the extra expense of shipping to Japan, and the possible problem of a plane being junk, and I'd paid shipping to Japan, now do I pay shipping back to the US to get my money back?

Jeff, I guess you shop is that much larger than mine that you need three planes to keep one within reach, I'll be fine with just one in my small Dungeon. :D

Art, yeah, a large air compressor is in the works, at some point, but I've already got the Incra LS positioner and the router and router lift, two Hitachi impact drivers, a cool laser level, and some other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Cheers!