Bandsaaw question

Way to much IMHO. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for that saw for 2 big reasons - underpowered and limited resaw capability (no riser block option).

But keep looking, it takes a while on Craigslist.

Cheers,

I think it's a great saw - lots of cast iron and lots of weight. That should yield some pretty smooth cuts. 3/4hp is plenty for that size saw since you can't bump up the resaw capacity. If it could take a riser, I would want a full 1hp. My Jet 14" has a 3/4hp and it's never bogged down once - even on the 6" thick Ipe I've sent through it. It's all in the blade, there. :)

I think it's a terrible price. I think $150 is a fair price for that machine in the condition it's in. $100 would be gloat-worthy.

If the guy won't budge, wait it out - he'll be holding onto that saw for awhile. He'll budge eventually. :D

Thanks for the replys. I am going to wait him out. Talked to a neighbor, who knows him, and he is the type that wants what it cost new. So he can sit on it for the time being.

Agreed. You can do better for that kind of money. He may believe it to be a collector's item. Many folks who have old stuff in good condition think it automatically becomes "extra good" but, some things are just well cared for older items.

What is the reputation like for Powermatic's recent (ie. last 3 years) bandsaw's? I know that PM is pretty high quality ... do their bandsaws also fall into that category?

What is the reputation like for Powermatic's recent (ie. last 3 years) bandsaw's? I know that PM is pretty high quality ... do their bandsaws also fall into that category?

wmh tool group has closed it`s usa factories and as far as i know everything painted yellow is coming from tai-chi.
the parts speced out for their yellow line are higher quality than the white line though...