This year's eggs

First assignment for my turning students is to turn an egg. This is their very first assignment and for 99.9% of them the first time they have worked on a wood lathe. So it is not uncommon for me to "help" them "find" the egg in the wood. So the third assignment is for them to turn an egg and I only provide safety help, no opinions, no suggestions unless it relates to safety. So, have three class hours, students are designated by their class number (that I assign them) so they are not id'ed here on the net. The egg on the left is their first one, egg on the right is their egg without any outside help. They did well I thought, so hope you enjoy looking at wooden eggs, there are many and many varieties!!
2-5.jpg

2-3.jpg

2-2.jpg

2--1.jpg

2---2.jpg

2--16.jpg

2-6.jpg

2--8.jpg

2-7.jpg

2-4.jpg

Wow, what can I say, after seeing all them, I'm..................

EGG-static :D :thumb:

The Egg is actually fairly hard to turn, so yeah, they did well!:thumb:

Jonathan man you must have a ton of patience.:thumb: Those are fine eggs. What tool do they learn to do the egg with.? Skew?

My pic of the bunch was in class 2. Specifcally 2-2 and 2-3. They seemed to have great wood and the acorn look came out great.

Ya know if times were better economically i would be suggesting we old fogies put together a contest or incentive for a bunch of kids like this to tantilize them into the vortex at a young age. This to me is where the tool manufacturers arent thinking strategically about marketing to the next gen. They need to realize at the current rate this next gen is going to have a console in their hands and never leave the couch and in time to come their business will be naught when we are all 6 ft under.

As a matter of interest what was their own reaction to the instant gratification of being able to create an object from wood. What age group are we talking here?

Great work and great effort thanks for sharing and all the best to them.:thumb:

Jonathan man you must have a ton of patience.:thumb: Those are fine eggs. What tool do they learn to do the egg with.? Skew?

My pic of the bunch was in class 2. Specifcally 2-2 and 2-3. They seemed to have great wood and the acorn look came out great.

Ya know if times were better economically i would be suggesting we old fogies put together a contest or incentive for a bunch of kids like this to tantilize them into the vortex at a young age. This to me is where the tool manufacturers arent thinking strategically about marketing to the next gen. They need to realize at the current rate this next gen is going to have a console in their hands and never leave the couch and in time to come their business will be naught when we are all 6 ft under.

As a matter of interest what was their own reaction to the instant gratification of being able to create an object from wood. What age group are we talking here?

Great work and great effort thanks for sharing and all the best to them.:thumb:

Let's take it from the top Rob. Nope, not a ton of patience, the medications just work well!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Actually, I have my days, but all in all, it is a dream job for the most part. The saddest thing is some of the situations these kids are in. Knowing them more personally due to the size of our community, the situations/homelife they currently live in, can't say what I would have been like under similar situations. Probably would have been worse than my worse students. So that stays in the back of my mind constantly.
Actually their first homework assignment the first day of school is to bring in a piece of limb wood. Two students dropped the class because homework was assigned the first day!! :doh::dunno::wave: So the tools used for the eggs, roughing gouge, bull nosed chisel, and for the students that seemed to have a good working knowledge of why and what was happening, the skew at the end. Oh, also the parting tool.
Don't get me started on the socialization of our American society. I am lucky that my school still has a school board made up of members for the most part that believe in hands on education. Funny, can't find teachers that are taught that so it is a lost art in the world of education. Like my welding classes, I teach so they can do some of their own work/repair. Make a little money on the side when the paycheck needs a little stretching so baby can have new shoes.
Age group, 9th grade thru 12th grade. 13 years old thru 18/19/20 years of age depending on number of classes/grades repeated. I tell you, the moment the "light" comes on, it is wonderful to see each and every time!!!! I keep telling them, "it is a present from God, all you all have to do is unwrap it!!". Yep, unconventional teaching from an unconventional teacher.
And to be honest, it is and I hope always great to see what lies under the bark of that wood brought in by them.
Great questions, hope I didn't talk your leg off answering them.

Those a fine looking eggs for a first lathe project, and you must be proud of those kids.
What you do with this kids is great Jonathan, and I'm sure that you'll leave a mark on them that they'll remember

Although I'd like to make a constructive comment here: it seems to me that they all fall on the same mistake, these kids do not know how an egg looks like.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or being picky but trying to help.

Let me explain:
They can recognise an egg if they see it but they don't KNOW how an egg looks like. People can reconize a horse or a horse silhouette buy if they had to draw a horse they would not know what are its proportions.

I see that almost all of them are too sharp pointed, and eggs are more rounded.
They can vary from very elliptical, almost like a cigar to almost spherical ones. Depending very much whether they are from birds, reptiles and so forth.
Why not bring a boiled egg next time and make them LOOK at it and analize it, before making them turn one. Let them have it in fromt of them at the lathe. If you already dit it, please disregard

They've proved that they can make one end roundish, why they didn't do similarly on the other side? They do not know how an egg looks like, neither most of people.

I had a drawing teacher who was very hard on us, regarding how we should look at things, and dissect their proportions mentally, engraving their shapes in our brains, and I must say that all that effort is really paying off since.

Maybe I'm pontificating here but I think it would help them a lot.