First Time back to the shop since surgery

Chuck Ellis

These are some pieces I was working on before I had my little bout with the hernia... they were sitting waiting for the finish to cure...
The first is from a piece of Walnut that Larry sent my way in exchange for a piece that I sent out west for him. I had it finished about a week or more before I got sick, but had dropped a tool off the wall above my tool bench that naturally landed right in the bottom of the bowl and knocked a big ding... I had to figure a way to turn the bottom a little more to clean up the ding... got almost all of it. It's about 7 1/2 in dia x 5 in high.. finished with wipe on poly.

The second is another piece of spalted maple that I knocked out while my son was here... he wanted to see how I did a bowl and I knocked it out during a wild rainstorm that trapped both of us in the shop for about 2 hours... 7 1/2 in diameter x 3 in high... finished with mineral oil and carnuba wax.

The third is a piece of wormy oak. The wood came from a friends tree that was taken down last summer. The bowl is about 7 inch diameter x 2 inches high. Also finished with mineral oil and wax. The wood is showing a lot of cracks, but they don't seem to go al the way through...lots of checking.

Attachments

• 10-789.JPG
    10-789.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 10-789-6.JPG
    10-789-6.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 10-841-2.JPG
    10-841-2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 29
  • 10-853-9.JPG
    10-853-9.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 10-853-2.JPG
    10-853-2.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 24
Yeah, Chuck, nothing like major surgery to make you appreciate things. I had a knee replaced the end of April and I was on pretty heavy meds:D:D:D for two months so I didn’t dare “operate heavy machinery”.:eek: In week eight, I graduated off of physical therapy and the drugs so finally got out to the shop (my half of the garage.) for a few hours a day. Glad you are feeling fit. Very nice bowls.

first time back in the shop since surgery

Beautifull work,glad your up an at em again.I love that spaulted wood,any spaulted wood :thumb::thumb: Take care an don't over do it. ;)

An up date on getting back to the shop... thought I did okay the first time back, but then I've developed a mild case of viral Pneumonia, plus a UTI, so back to the restriction of sitting and waiting again.... Between Thursday and Sunday, think I would have needed to get better to die:D... Finally got in to see a doctor on Monday... 3 1/2 hours waiting and betting poked, ex-rayed, pee in a cup, ekg and the works... now today I have to got back for an echo cardiogram... seems my heart rhythm is too high and the doctor is concerned may have a blockage.

I hate being sick... it's a rare thing for me.