Windows 7 - anyone going there?

Thanks, I needed a good wake-up laugh. :D

Anytime, Frank! ;)

But seriously, our systems people are so conservative they usually wait for service pack 2! Not this time: reviews are good, they've been testing it for a while now, they've already got an image to roll out.

We're going to step it out, instead of pushing a mass upgrade. We'll likely wait for the christmas break before doing all the labs, but only because it takes a while to redo 500 machines, and research needs to get done now! Can't have the dog eating everyone's homework... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

If they will make a new OS that will work with my P3 600mhz machine, I'll think about changing. :rofl: Otherwise, I'm happy with my Win 2K. I have XP Pro at work, and LOML has XP Home on her computer. Both ok, but my little machine struggled with XP when I loaded hers on a clean hard drive, just to see what would happen. Didn't like it. It worked, but very very very slowly. :wave: Jim.

Don't know much about 7 myself... but my son who is a managerial programmer for a division of IBM has been using it in Beta since it came out... he seems impressed with it. He does a blog review on some programs and hardware... he minces no words if it's not to his liking.

I'm still on XP and will probably stay there until the PC dies.

Rennie,

Forget all these arguments, and just go with 7 on Thursday. Friday at the latest. We're moving the University to it with all deliberate speed,

Hmm, my group is more conservative, haven't yet had any push to upgrade.
In fact I'm putting XP on 15 new systems this week for PhD students.

But with all the good reports, we'll probably be going that way eventually.
On the other hand, some of our labs are 2-3 years old, so we may wait for a lab hardware upgrade before jumping to Win7.