Using Wood From Logging in Tokyo

Stuart Ablett

This Tuesday and Wednesday, Eli Avisera from Israel is coming to Tokyo to put on a turning Demo for our local AAW chapter.

I got was asked to provide some wood for him. One of the thing he requested is a piece of wood 12" in diameter, and 2" thick, for a platter, Maple would be the preference. I do not have such a piece of wood, so I went to Shin Kiba, the wholesale area in Tokyo for wood. After going to 5 different places, I could not find a piece of Maple that would fit the bill :doh:

They had pieces that were wide enough, but not thick enough, or pieces that were thick enough, but not that wide :bang:

I finally found a piece of "Shina" or "Linden" which is also close to Basswoood that did fit the bill. $150 later...... :rolleyes:

This wood is quite nice, but a little soft, I understand that it was the wood used here to make the wooden blocks for the block printing, which they would carve the image in the wood and then apply ink to it and make a print.

I am worried that it may be too soft, so I dug into my stash of wood from the > Logging In Tokyo << adventure and found a piece of Akagashi, or Japanese Evergreen Oak, that would also work.

It is actually about 11 1/2" but I think it will be OK.

In fact, I think that slab is the one in the picture, second from the right side..............
boxing_day_haul1.jpg

I cut one piece square so I could plane it flat, as the surface was quite rough, as this is one of the first slabs I cut, and I was not up to speed yet.

SN3D0247.JPG
Ready to have a go....

SN3D0248.JPG SN3D0249.JPG SN3D0250.JPG
I can certainly see where a scrub plane would be handy :rolleyes:

SN3D0251.JPG SN3D0252.JPG
That was kind of fun, and now I have to cut it round for the turning :wave:

Cheers!

Well, he could turn a toothpick from a Bonsai tree couldn't he??:eek::huh::dunno::doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dang gone Stu, why didn't you PM me, could have boxed something up and sent it to you. I feel selfish having just picked through Larry's walnut pile and the maple I have here, wish I would have known of your troubles, would have mailed a solution to you!

Well, he could turn a toothpick from a Bonsai tree couldn't he??:eek::huh::dunno::doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dang gone Stu, why didn't you PM me, could have boxed something up and sent it to you. I feel selfish having just picked through Larry's walnut pile and the maple I have here, wish I would have known of your troubles, would have mailed a solution to you!

Same here Stu. I have some rough 2x12x12' hard maple in the barn and could have chainsawed off a piece and delivered it last week!
"What's this block of exotic wood you are sneaking into our country, Rideout-san" says the Japanese Customs inspector.
"I have no idea how that got in my suitcase, sir", says I. :dunno:

Thanks fellas, I would have asked, but I only just got the list, as it went through a third party. I'm going to talk to Eli this time and tell him to contact me directly before hand if he comes again, and to give me a bit more run up time.

You guys are great, thanks!