Pens 6-11

Chuck Rodekohr

In Memorium
These are the pens I turned yesterday and today, trying to perfect my technique. They are all Wall Street II kits (on sale). From left to right are Quilted Mable, Tulip, Bocote, Purpleheart, Lacewood and Mable Burl.

They are all sanded to 600 grit, then wet sanded with 600 and BLO. They were all finished with CA then Micro-Meshed to 12,000. I tried various ways to apply the CA (medium thickness), from three to six coats applied with BLO with the lathe running; then, between three and six coats with the late stopped, letting it dry and Micro-Meshing to 12,000 between coats. I think they all came out looking about the same, I guess the deciding factor is how they hold up. Right now, I’m leaning towards sanding to 600, wet sanding, three coats of CA spinning with BLO and then Micro-Mesh. My next experiments will be with sanding with lower grits since several of you seqsoned turners said you stopped at 240-320.

Critique and comments welcomed.

Attachments

• Pens6-11.jpg
    Pens6-11.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 29
Chuck, those are some good looking pens. I've not tried the "Wallstreet" pen myself but after looking at these I may have to just try them. You said "on Sale". Where are they on sale? who has them?

Good Job!

Tom

Tom,

I got the Wall Street II kits at Woodcraft, sale price is $5.59, normally $6.99. Unfortunately, the local Woodcraft is about 5 miles down the road and I find myself in there four or five time a week, and usually purchase something. :eek:

Rob,

Here are the close ups you requested.

Left to right:

Pen 6 – Lacewood
Pen 7 – Tulip Wood
Pen 8 – Bocote
Pen 9 – Purpleheart
Pen 10 – Quilted Maple
Pen 11 – Maple Burl

And, again, thank you all for your comments.

Attachments

• Pen 6 Lace Wood.JPG
    Pen 6 Lace Wood.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Pen 7 Tulip.JPG
    Pen 7 Tulip.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Pen 8 Bocote.JPG
    Pen 8 Bocote.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Pen 9 Purpleheart.JPG
    Pen 9 Purpleheart.JPG