Ice Cream Scoop

Sean Wright

I made this Ice Cream Scoop for the WoodCraft store that I work at. They gave me the kit and the blank, with the deal that I will make the scoop for the store's display. Then after Christmas I can have it. Not a bad deal, and a fun project.

The scoop is brass. The handle is cocobolo, with a wipe on poly finish. The scoop is held on with epoxy.

Attachments

• Scoop1.jpg
    Scoop1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Scoop2.jpg
    Scoop2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Scoop3.jpg
    Scoop3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Scoop4.jpg
    Scoop4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 34
That came out looking very nice, Sean. I like the 'finger guard' at the front of the handle to keep your fingers out of the sticky stuff. :thumb:

Very nice turning. Do you know if the scoop is solid brass or brass plate over mystery metal?

I see you work at Woodcraft. The one in West Seneca? I sort of know the area, my inlaws live amongst the Amish in South Dayton (south of Gowanda).

Cheers,

Nice Sean, very nice. I still haven't turned an ice cream scoop handle. Like Vaughn, I do like the "finger guard"! Fit and finish look excellent. Don't think I could afford to work at a Woodcraft store, like the gun store job I was offered, "no thanks", can see it all clearly now, every pay day I would be looking at the boss and saying, "ok, how much do I owe this week?" :eek::huh::dunno::doh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sean, nice scoop!. I have one of those kits but I have not turned it yet. My only concern with the kits is that the scoop does not go into the handle very far. How do you think the epoxy will hold up? I have bent some pretty heavy spoons scooping out frozen ice cream.

Tom

Tom, I have wondered the same thing. Someone else turned a few of these last year (Frank??) and they reported no problems at the time. Do like my Grandma did, run the scoop under hot water before using I guess.

Tom, I have wondered the same thing. Someone else turned a few of these last year (Frank??) and they reported no problems at the time. Do like my Grandma did, run the scoop under hot water before using I guess.

No time to be messing around with hot water Jon. If it's ice cream...just get it in my bowl and give me a spoon fast. :rofl:

Tom

Actually that may be the thing to do.

Very nice turning. Do you know if the scoop is solid brass or brass plate over mystery metal?

I see you work at Woodcraft. The one in West Seneca? I sort of know the area, my inlaws live amongst the Amish in South Dayton (south of Gowanda).

Cheers,

Dan,

I'm not sure if it is solid brass or not. It was pretty heavy though.

Yep, I work at the Woodcraft in West Seneca(part time only:() , if you are familiar with the I-90 through that area, it is the Ridge Road exit heading to West Seneca. Then not even 5 minutes from there.

Sean, nice scoop!. I have one of those kits but I have not turned it yet. My only concern with the kits is that the scoop does not go into the handle very far. How do you think the epoxy will hold up? I have bent some pretty heavy spoons scooping out frozen ice cream.

Tom

Tom, The scoop went into the handle about 1 1/4" as I recall. I think the epoxy will do OK. I'll find out for sure in January when I get the scoop back and give it the real ice cream test! :D