Dishwasher needs it's own drain.....

Mark Rios

In my current kitchen remodel job I"m moving the location of the dishwsher. I want to put in a separate drain for the dishwasher and not hook it up to the sink drain.

I have perfectly easy access to a 2" drain line directly under the floor (lots of room under the floor as well) and easy access to the wall behind the dishwasher. No encumbrances whatsoever. I've done lots of remodel plumbing but I've never done a separate dishwasher drain.

Does anyone have any info on installation and requirements of a separate drain for a dishwasher?

Thanks very much for any advice.

While I know the three things a plumber has to know, I'm not one, (nor did I play one on TV) however I think you'll need a "P" trap and vent line in the hook up.

While I know the three things a plumber has to know, I'm not one, (nor did I play one on TV) however I think you'll need a "P" trap and vent line in the hook up.

Right, and I have easy access to put those in. I'm sorry for not being more clear.

Do I still need some sort of air gap device? Can I simply hook up the discharge hose, by means of adapters, directly to an ABS drain coming out of the wall (and then into the p-trap)? Is there a certain height requirement for the drain line coming out of the wall in this stand-alone application?

Thanks very much again.

Don't know the right answer...

But I'd put the trap at the standard height for a kitchen sink, not worry about air gap, and even skip the vent if it's close enough to another (there's a section on this in the IRC). If you really want to know, why not call up the AHJ? Sometimes there's a local variation that causes lots of problems if you don't know about it (not the voice of experience, more like the moan of experience :doh: :doh: :doh: ). Why is that the smilie I'm always using? :huh: