small dovetailed box

ken werner

A local contractor I know gave me some "scrap" wood he had taking up some space in his shop. That would be birdseye maple I resawed to make the top and bottom of this little box. The sides are from a piece of curly cherry, that came as a hunk of wood, split from a log. The curl doesn't show up in my poor photography.

Anyway, I did my usual routine of a sliding lid, but I made the shadow joints to really close tolerances. I hope it doesn't swell shut come summertime. I am donating the box to the silent auction at a local Hospice, which will take place tomorrow night. We'll see how much it brings in.

Finish is shellac and wax.

4-1.jpg

boxtop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Real nice Ken.
Just curious. Do you apply the finish to the inside of the groove where the sliding cover fits?
I think that I would like to give one of these a try.
Good cause, I hope the dough rolls in on this beauty.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll post the final price when I get it.

Bob - there is no finish in the groove for the lid. I did finish the exterior of the bottom before assembly. I leave the interiors unfinished. I like the look of the bare wood inside. I've done a variety of lid treatments - I like how this one looks, as you can tell, my taste runs towards simple. Kind of like my mind.

Ken

Look good, Ken. I'm trying to see the side where the lid slides out and can't quite make it out. Does it have dovetails on that side? And is there a "fake" half tail at the top like on the side I can see?

I'm just interested in how you did that.

Mike

I don't know about decent, Bruce, little slivers glued in and filler well placed help mine look better as needed.

Well, it sold for $35. I was disappointed, but at least it went to a good cause. It was positioned in a fairly dark location between a case of beer and a pig shaped cutting board. [no kidding]. Just wondering if others would feel the same.

Only $35, boy, if I got a nice handmade box like that with such wonderful wood, for $35, I would be very happy indeed.

Too bad Ken, but, like you said, the money goes to a good cause.

Full marks to you for your generosity :thumb:

I feel it should have gone for more also BUT, you made it as a donation for one HECK of a good cause, that you can feel great about, it raised money for a good cause, no matter how much it went for, WELL DONE, great generosity :thumb::thumb::thumb: