Scrapers

Dan Gonzales

I am going to buy a set of scrapers for some flatwork. Can anyone tell me if there is a best choice between Lie-Nielsen, Bahco and Lynx (these are available local to me) or order the Lee Valley Veritas 4 piece set?

Also, any recommendations for the burnisher?

Thanks.

I just use an old hand plane blade. I bought a set but found this works better. for me. I never found much use for the curved ones. As for a burnisher any hard round piece of metal will work.

I have a set of 3 that I got for around $10 to try as a starter set. I am still using them and do on almost every project; some German made set that Rockler sold at the time. I got the Veritas adjustable burnisher clamshell looking do-jobber for Christmas one year and it works great. Before that I would just use an old car valve and would still be doing so if not for the gift. A bastard mill file, a stone of some kind along with something to burnish with and you're all set.

I bought the LV set and have been satisfied with it. I have used the curved scraper for inside curves where the only other alternative would be a piece of wood cut to the same curve with a piece of sandpaper attached to it.

I do find it difficult to sharpen scrapers well. I guess I don't use them enough to get really good at it.

Mike

i have the four piece set that came from local woodworking store and also a set of 2 LN they were a gift,, te burnisher is like glenn said nothing special and file to get them straight,, i have used the goose neck more than i thought, exspecaill where yu get burned cuts on cherry for instance making profiles with less than new Router bits... it works much faster than sandpaper and mainteains the profile better i think.. wouldnt be caught without them now days.. scrapers that is:thumb::thumb:

I got this set from LV a few years ago
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,310,41069&p=53322
and use them constantly. Before i bought these, i had a single sandvic scraper. I have to say that i've gotten spoiled by the variety in the LV set, both in shape and, more importantly, thickness. I burnish mine with a fine flat file and a hardened steel rod.
They're pretty basic. My grandad made his own from old saw blades.
paulh

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I ordered the 4 piece rectangular set from Lee Valley (and their dust mask while I was at it).

I will make a burnisher using the shaft from a used shock absorber or maybe some drill rod.

Cheers,

Not hardly :D

Most of my woodwork is construction or flat cabinet work. But I am working on a carved music stand for my wife using tiger maple that is lifting on the jointer. I also really hate sanding.

Sometimes you have to go back to go forward. :huh:

Not hardly :D

Most of my woodwork is construction or flat cabinet work. But I am working on a carved music stand for my wife using tiger maple that is lifting on the jointer. I also really hate sanding.

Sometimes you have to go back to go forward. :huh:

if yu are referring to the lifting as tearout dan then either your scrapers or sanding is the best for highly figured wood yu can mist it too witha spritz of water to make it cut better.. but sanding is the safest//

I have a 2 piece set of L-N card scrapers. I haven't used them that much, but, they did nicely on the flintlock rifle case I made.

I have a Crown burnisher, but I'm sure that any hard round steel stock would do the trick.

I don't use them often but love them when needed. I just used my gooseneck scraper inside a small bowl yesterday to get rid of a ridge I could not turn out-on the bench, in my hand, not on the lathe. I have also used straight one on the outside of bowls to get rid of tearout-again with the lathe not running.

I have a carbide burnishing rod that is amazing. Remember to lubricate the burnisher for better results. I use 3-in-1 oil.