Welcome John Kairys

Thanks for the welcome. Best of luck to the entire group as this new site launches.

By way of introduction, I am very much a "hobbyist" woodworker. When I was younger, I worked a couple of summers doing construction and renovation, and have always enjoyed those sorts of projects.

I am a surgeon by day, and obviously like working with my hands. When I was an intern, one of my mentors was a very accomplished woodworker. I was always impressed by the work that he did, mostly 18th c. reproductions, and it's always been a goal of mine to be able to do that sort of work.

My free time is unfortunately limited, so I don't get to do nearly as much as I would like (and probably won't get a chance to visit or post here as much as I would like). However, I've been steadily mastering my hand-tool skills and techniques, and gradually tackling ever larger projects. No, I'm not a total neander, but I do have a very healthy respect for what the powered versions can do. I did trauma surgery for many years, and have seen far too many severed digits in plastic bags and Igloo coolers, waiting to to be re-implanted. Do I own a Saw-Stop? You bet.

Anyhow, I look forward to participating in the group, and learning from all the wisdom and experience that is here. Thanks.