I'm Doomed

Drew Watson

This might be posted in the wrong section so forgive me if it is. :dunno: I have just come to the sad realisation that I am doomed. I have crossed the line and ordered a lathe ( Nova DVRXP that is on back order) and I was cleaning the shop, making room for the new toy. Well I was going through all the small 2x2 scraps of cherry and maple and walnut that I had put aside from other projects when I started looking at them and thinking, Hmmm what good turning projects this would make. Then I started thinking of downed trees and what I can make of them too. Of course this is said with a slight smile as I think of all the spinny things I want to make. I think I need more storage space. Like I said I am doomed. :eek:

hook+line+and+sinker+final.jpg

come_to_the_darkside.jpg

Whom is "V"...? :)

I know how you feel, when I first got my lathe, whenever we went out of Tokyo for a day trip, I always put a my nice big willow leaf hand saw in the van, as well as a small axe, and some plastic sheets, just in case we came upon a downed tree :rolleyes:

If we saw a really nice tree somewhere, and I was looking at it, my kids would say "Papa, you cannot cut it down, stop looking at it that way" :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh they knew exactly what I was thinking!

I'll post some pics and video later of Eli Avisera turning some impossible small items, I was standing there watching, and I was thinking of all the great piece of wood I'd thrown out...... :doh: :D :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now where did those cookies get to.... :huh:

Sad news, drew i had hoped yu could with stand the urges and the dismal end that you have sucummed to :D and V fits yu vaughn:) good luck in your new adventure drew..

I dont think your doomed at all.
Yes, its quite addictive and fun, but its also a new avenue to pursue woodworking.
It opens up alot more possibililties and also will let you mix up flatwork with some spin stuff.
You will gain experience, get good, and bang out some beautiful things.

And now a demonic laugh as I realize there will be still more nice wide stock left available for those of use who stay clear of the slope . .. Booo-hooo-whaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Seriously, congrats on that spinner.

Thanks guys for trying to talk me out of this dark adventure.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Looking forward to seeing the video Stu. I know I will most likely take some time to get any good at it but like the old saying goes Practice practice practice. I am just amazed that I have not done this sooner.

Love the shirt Vaughn I want one. Any place with good cookies can't be all that bad. :rofl:

I am going to my first turners guild meeting tomorrow as they hold them once a month till June. I have already met some of the members and am looking forward to future meetings and learning as much as I can before the lathe shows up. I already see that i have lots of extras that I will need to get for the things that I want to do.

I am soooo lucky as Janet said that I have been really good with everything that has happened over the past years that I deserve to get something nice for myself. How could I pass up on that logic? I am just chomping at the bit for the lathe to arrive now. Yes looking at every tree in a new way. :thumb::rofl::rofl: