Can I keep it? It just followed me home from the WoodCraft store!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So to be completely honest, I sort kind of thought I 'might' buy a planer today on my errands. But I really didn't know for sure.

Saw the DW 735 on a bunch of places online for 649. So Figured I'd go to WoodCraft and see if there was anything I needed. Well, It's a good news bad news sort of thing. Apparently the woodcraft in town is going out of business. I don't like seeing that happen. Friendly folks, nice place to shop.

But, all power tools were 20% off, and all power tool accessories were 30% off. And wouldn't you know it. Sitting right there was a DW735, the mobile base, and the extension tables. Well I had no intention of buyin the base, as that just seemed too expensive, but at 30% off, Well, what could I say...

Whats even better is when I got home and carefully explained how it was ON SALE and my old one was, well, old, I got away with it completely!

So I'm glad I got the mobile base. I would have had to build one anyway. This thing is pretty heavy and unwieldy, more so than my old delta anyway.

On the way home stopped by Lowes and they had the DW735 for 599, so I'm glad I got it on sale for 519. I've seen refurbs online for 500. So maybe not a great deal, but not a bad one either I figure.

dw735_02.jpg

dw735_01.jpg

Yes, you can keep it, BUT you have to clean up after it:rofl::rofl::rofl: You will love it Brent, just be sure to wear ear protection as they are LOUD:eek: (and eye protection is a given:D)

Congrats. That's a nice setup.

So...when are we gonna see the final pics of that Tele? :rolleyes: :D

On Coat number 20 of Deft Lacquer :eek: ALMOST have enough on to cover up all the dang sparkles! Then I've got to let it sit for a few days before I can start to sand it. I'll do a complete post on it once I get to the stringing it up stage...

(I have too many projects in progress... Sigh...)

Ok Brent you joined this family now i will welcome you to the DW735 family:D I have the same setup minus the tables. I have those on my list.:( Great planer. Just noisy. And the chip extractor is fan driven. You wanna here that thing go crazy when it finds a little knot in the wood like when you plane a junkie 2x4 from HD.:eek:

Enjoy and best of luck with it.:thumb:

You know, it doesn't really seem as loud as the old delta.

I do like to wear hearing protection in the shop. Got some nice little earbuds I use that let me listen to the radio while I do stuff. They completely block the outside noise. I will sometimes even double them up with some earmuffs...

Just tried it out and I'm shocked at the smoothness of the cut. Guess the blades on the ole delta were getting a bit dull.

Now to find a good home for the old delta. I wonder what shipping would cost for something like that.

100+ pounds eh?

Not really a "Portable" planer are they :D

Sorry to hear about the Woodcraft store, that sucks.

You got that right about the 'portable' part. Oh well. Time to organize and make room. Far be it for me to complain about a lack of space when we've all seen what you have to deal with in the Dungeon! :D

Well, Hopefully the woodcraft might be back, but we'll see. There's another good tool store in town, they even do saw blade sharpening, so I guess I'll just have to go there. It seems more geared towards the contractor market vs. Hobby, so think a little less of the fancy carving and planes, and more heavy duty tools. But it's a nice enough place. Just hope the guys who worked at woodcraft find good jobs.

That is a great deal Brent. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Like Stu said sorry to hear about the woodcraft store closing but a deal is a deal. I have the same unit and am drooling over the base unit. Very nice. Does it have wheels or a space to put them?

That is a great deal Brent. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Like Stu said sorry to hear about the woodcraft store closing but a deal is a deal. I have the same unit and am drooling over the base unit. Very nice. Does it have wheels or a space to put them?

It's on wheels, but where it goes will change on a daily basis! I've got 1 hard and fast rule in the shop. If I can't lift it easily, it's got to have wheels!