Vertical MIlling

Randy Wynn

Hi all, had a special order yesterday for some crosscut slabs. These are a pain in the butt. Thery are hard to get clamped good enough for my likings. I sawed these at 12/4 and they are 24"W. He also wanted the 2' butt log. 8) Another thing H&W is now on FaceBook how about check us out here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waxhaw-NC/HW-Custom-Cut-Lumber/137083101526

Zi6_0605.jpg

Zi6_0630.jpg

Zi6_0631.jpg

Zi6_0632.jpg

Zi6_0618.jpg

Zi6_0620.jpg

Last edited:
How to dry

Those are cool looking rounds. But how do you dry them to keep from getting radial cracks from opening up. I've a couple of times tried to keep some similar rounds from fallen trees (fir and cotton wood), but they have nearly always cracked. Of course I had just left them lying around on pavement or maybe on top of some other wood.

No pics? I'd like to see some tomahawk pics if you have any or yours throwing them as well.

Sorry for the tread hijack.

Here is a picture of my hawks. Numbers 2 & 3 from the top are the throwers. Nos. 4, 5, and 6 were thrown by my sons when they were small. Seven is a pack or camp axe, eight (second from bottom) is a true antique and was a broad axe for squaring timbers but I have bevel sharpened it for camp use. Bottom one is a tomahawk styled Boy Scout axe that was given to me when I was about ten years old, that would make it more than 61 years old.
The top one is a replica of the tomahawk commissioned for the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1805. It is true and correct in every respect except they did not go on the expedition. The contract to provide these was not filled in time and L&C departed with something else.
I don't have a picture of me throwing a hawk and currently do not have a target block at home. 'Nuther time for that.

Attachments

• tomahawks.jpg
    tomahawks.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Those are cool looking rounds. But how do you dry them to keep from getting radial cracks from opening up. I've a couple of times tried to keep some similar rounds from fallen trees (fir and cotton wood), but they have nearly always cracked. Of course I had just left them lying around on pavement or maybe on top of some other wood.

Hey Richard Line, I put a real thick coat of latex paint on the side I plan on showing, then put it upside down out of direct sunlight with weight on top of it for about a year. Then sand the paint off and use it.