Another dove...

Dove update and finished.

This one has taken me less time than the first, mainly because it is a relief not a complete 3d carving or "on the round" as it is said.
The fact of being able to devote a complete weekend to it helped a lot as well.

I choose a different method to simulate the small feathers, big ones where carved as in the first dove.
DDd01.jpgDDd04.jpgDDd05.jpg
Carving the eye is the most difficult part to me, even wearing glasses, I always fear it. An eye badly positioned may make it look strabic;), and as it is usually the last part to carve it can spoil the whole carving.
eye01.jpg

Once finished I planed away the back in my jointer until it was safe enough for my hands and the piece, I used pushing handles all the time and very light passes.
DDd10.jpgDDd09.jpg
Then I cut the waste on the bandsaw and finished the outline by hand with a carving knife I made from a broken sabre saw blade.
DDd11.jpgDDd12.jpgDDd16.jpg
On saturday it'll fly to Don's home, if he likes it ( or so I hope:))

I definitely need to make some sort of lighting tent and practice pics, these are awful, sorry guys...:eek:

Just amazing, what a great job you do on those! :clap:

Another international collaboration, I'm going strabic with with pride in you guys! :D :thumb:

(yeah, new word for me too!)

Thanks to all of you guy for your kind comments.

great job toni and i quess i need to look up strabic,, must be something important if vaughn retained it:)

Strabic, which I do not know if I'm spelling it well is the same as cross-eyed.
Hence my comment about being careful when positioning the eye or any eyes on a carved figure.:D.

The medical name for this sickness is Strabism, ( not to be confused with Stravinsky the musician:rofl:) so someone who suffers it is strabic.

;)I found the right spelling and description;)

strabismus [strəˈbɪzməs]
n
(Medicine / Pathology) abnormal alignment of one or both eyes, characterized by a turning inwards or outwards from the nose thus preventing parallel vision: caused by paralysis of an eye muscle, etc. Also called squint
[via New Latin from Greek strabismos, from strabizein to squint, from strabos cross-eyed]
strabismal , strabismic, strabismical adj

;)I found the right spelling and description;)

strabismus [strəˈbɪzməs]
n
(Medicine / Pathology) abnormal alignment of one or both eyes, characterized by a turning inwards or outwards from the nose thus preventing parallel vision: caused by paralysis of an eye muscle, etc. Also called squint
[via New Latin from Greek strabismos, from strabizein to squint, from strabos cross-eyed]
strabismal , strabismic, strabismical adj

Yep. I have heard that word. But, I do believe most (American) people not trained in medicine would just used 'cross-eyed'.