Talon Chuck Problem (probably me not tool)

Hi,

I purchased a Talon Chuck some time ago. Today was the first time I tried it. I had a piece of hardwood 2" x 2" by 1 1/2". Original shape square. I wanted to turn a cylinder the maximum size possible. I have done this before but the head end was a (sorry, I don't know the tech name) point with 4 blades. This worked fine.

With the Talon Chuck at the head I had problems. After making one, possibly two passes the length of the piece the chuck would be loose on the wood. I tightened the heck out of it and had the same results several more times. I did not feel any vibration that indicated that the center of the wood was flexing...Of course there was vibration making the square piece round.

I eventually got what I wanted. However, the chuck loosening is a problem. I assume I have done something stupid because they couldn't sell the chucks if this was normal for the product.

So what is wrong?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jim C Bradley

could be you ran into something i did at the beginning, a part just the right size, where you think it's got a firm grip on it, but just small enough to bottom out the chuck.

Hi Vaughn,

I did not think this entry made it. Dear old COX cut me off in the middle of typing it.

I did follow the other thread. So far it sounds like I did everything right. I checked; the wood was not against the body of the chuck. That was purely accidental. I did not know it was supposed to have clearance.

Since this is all duplicate of the other thread I started---delete it if you wish.

Enjoy,

Jim