Entrance way molding and heading out of mahogany

allen levine

There may be some sapele in the mix, and after alot of research on finishing mahogany for outdoors, it seems a product called Sikkens Cetol is highly regarded for this use.
Can anyone here confirm that theyve used this product and its a winner?
Any help would be appreciated.
Also, do I need to apply the sikkens clear gloss, or can I put any spar varnish on top.

My first instincts are to hire a guy to just make me the moldings, let him worry about finishing, but my wife feels I have the know how to do it. Im not as confident.

Sikkens Cetol is very highly rated for outdoor use. I was going to use it on the ipe deck I did out in CA but the client couldn't make up his mind if he wanted it or not so the deck stayed unfinished.

Your best bet would be to speak with the sikkens tech department about additional finishes.

Sikkens Cetol is very highly rated for outdoor use. I was going to use it on the ipe deck I did out in CA but the client couldn't make up his mind if he wanted it or not so the deck stayed unfinished...

You could get Cetol in CA?

Where I lived in SoCal, the SCAQMD banned the Sikkens outdoor products from sale because it had too high a VOC content.

There may be some sapele in the mix, and after alot of research on finishing mahogany for outdoors, it seems a product called Sikkens Cetol is highly regarded for this use...Also, do I need to apply the sikkens clear gloss, or can I put any spar varnish on top...

Allen,
The hands down betst outdoor finish I've found is Epifanes. It's intended for finishing the 'brightwork' (mahogany) on boats, and is very durable in a harsh weather environment. Pretty expensive, but definitely worth it.

MAHOGANY HAS ALWAYS BEEN A Beach TO CONTROL THE ELEMENTS

Best thing to do 1st is put 3 coats of Thompson water seal on, 24 hours between coat. Stain then apply Sikkens Cetol, 2-3 coats. Doors will last 20 years. If doors are in direct sun use their U-V clear coat.

I've done a lot of exterior doors for customers and I never get anyone calling saying these doors didn't last.

I got a call from an old employee asking questions about putting on oil onto his teak furniture.
I asked about a mahogany chair I made for his father, and he told me it was amazing.
The chair has been left outdoors for 1.5 years, buried in snow for months, and the finish looks like its brand new. Sikkens.
Patrick and Dave hit the nail on the head. I redid my ipe table a few weeks ago, sanding and re oiling, but my mahogany shutters and door trim still look brand new 1.5 years later.
Thankyou gentlemen, it pays to ask.