What would you do with too many fences?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Some years back I purchased my Delta 6" jointer. It came with a fence that had a slight warp. Several emails and phone calls to the Delta support people resulted in an overlap of responses and I wound up, over the course of several months, five extra fences for the jointer.

Space, like with everyone here, is at a premium in my shop. I need to do something with these but the only thing I can think of is turn them in for scrap and get a few bucks in exchange. So, I turn to the collective wisdom of the forum for suggestions. What can you do with five extra fences?:dunno:
DSC_0284.jpgDSC_0285.jpg

Please, answers such as anchors, ballast, etc. have already been considered and need not be voiced.:D:rolleyes:

I had considered that, but at 20# each wouldn't the shipping be prohibitive?:huh: Do you think there's enough of a demand to overcome the shipping cost?:dunno:

I sold a 40# tablesaw wing to a guy on the east coast and I'm in California. Shipping Fedex was about $22. I built a quick 1/4" plywood box around it and wrapped that in cardboard and taped it up good. It arrived in perfect shape.

I stick sandpaper to MDF to use for leveling small box feet and such tasks. Being long and narrow, I don't know if that would work out for the types of items you make or not.

I ended up with an extra Griz G0490X fence. I emailed them and they sent a box and a pickup slip. A little tape, a call to UPS, left it on the porch and it "went away".

I sold a 40# tablesaw wing to a guy on the east coast and I'm in California. Shipping Fedex was about $22. I built a quick 1/4" plywood box around it and wrapped that in cardboard and taped it up good. It arrived in perfect shape.

I stick sandpaper to MDF to use for leveling small box feet and such tasks. Being long and narrow, I don't know if that would work out for the types of items you make or not.

I ended up with an extra Griz G0490X fence. I emailed them and they sent a box and a pickup slip. A little tape, a call to UPS, left it on the porch and it "went away".
Probably a little late to send back to Delta. I considered using them for lapping planes using sandpaper.

I'll look into actual shipping cost.

Really heavy duty shelving? ;)
For things that aren't likely to leak.:eek::rofl:

Probably the simple thing to do is list 'em on CraigsList; somebody'll want 'em & be happy to give you cash money for 'em.

People want funny stuff sometimes - when we first started cleaning the previous owner's stuff out of the barn, we set up a huge "free pile" out front. One fella wanting nothing more than a big stack of rusty, beat-up lawnmower blades that'd been rotting out there for nobody knows how many years. He went away very happy. :)

Sell them on eBay. Give the details, specify condition to "the best of my abilities", no warranty, appropriate crating, no reserve. Make sure you add $10 or so to the shipping cost to cover your packaging.

Good luck.