Expanding the business

Don Baer

Staff member
Well I decided on how I can handle all of the calls I'm getting as well as the commission for the church. My son was laid off a few weeks ago. He his wife and daughter live with us while DIL is finishing up her school. Grandaughter goes to kjindergarden from 8-2:30 so I told him today that he needs to start helping out in the shop. He's a good kid and can be very meticulas I just need to teah him how to be meticulus and fast. I think he'll be alright.

Don, my dad and I have become very good friends. I could never have worked for him for any length of time side by side. He was very critical now it is called anal, about how he did things and wanted things done. My dad quit school in the 8th grade raised a family of five kids, bought his own gas station and put my mom through college. He sold the station and retired to bus driving and working out of a shop he built at home. Cancer really put a kink in his plans, but he is healthy and alive. The physical strength isn't there like it used to be. It was always weird, I could work with my buddy's dad all day and he could work with my dad all day with no problems, but if we stayed home and worked with our dad's, friction! :dunno::huh: Anyway, any family that can work together has my envy. It takes a special breed of person and it can be a wonderful experience. I hope it works out for you two and it is a positive experience and the business blossoms because of it.

My lovely wife and I spend at least 8 hours a day together working retail, and have now for 16 years. Most couples tell us that if they had to spend that long six or seven days a week together, they would no longer be a couple.....?

I dunno, but for us, it is just the way it is :dunno:

My lovely wife and I spend at least 8 hours a day together working retail, and have now for 16 years. Most couples tell us that if they had to spend that long six or seven days a week together, they would no longer be a couple.....?

My wife and I have both worked for the same company for about that same amount of time. For the last several years we have worked from home. For the last 3 years we have worked from home out of our ranch 30 miles from town. We are together literally 24/7.

I hear the same comments about how can you spend that much time togther? :eek:

For some of us I guess it just works. I think it helps to pick the right person :thumb:

In my case, some one very understanding! :rofl:

Well we had our first disagreement today. I gave Chris the task of turning some turned boxes. I build these for the mortuaries for cremation urns. They are very profitable and the demand is never ending. I gave him free rain with the style, gave him the blanks and he started to mount the blanks in the lathe. I asked him nwhy he wasn't cutting off the corner so that he woulod have less to turn. He tld me that the way he prefrered to do it was with 4 sides. I explained to him that we needed to turn them out in a minamum of time and he didn't need to waste time, reduce wear and tare on him and thne lathe by rounding off the corners. A few minutes later he said fine and asked me to cut off the corners. :thumb: We made it through that hurdle. I'll post some pics later in the turning forum.

When we had our stores, my wife worked there alongside the other employees. I was boss. Period. That was never questioned. At home, it was different. We talked over the business and made decisions as a couple. It worked.