Razer Tip SK Wood Burner

Stuart Ablett

I decided to get into mini campfires :rolleyes: :D

I bought this Razer Tip wood burner from Lee Valley, to embellish my wood turnings. Last week, I saw Eli Avisera again, and some of this work has been embellished with wood burning, simple and certainly effective.

razortip.JPG
I got a few extra tips with it as well.

Boy does this thing light up in a jiffy and gives nice consistent heat too.
The block of maple in front is some of my doodles :)

A very cool tool for sure.

Cheers!

Just wondered how you got some of those straight lines. I cannot draw freehand worth a darn.

It did get me thinking about getting a wood burner to at least sign some of the things I make.

Your printing side showed out Larry, I'd like to see some serifs and gothic words as well.:D

I've toying with the idea of getting a branding iron to mark my work, but if writing with this tool is that easy, I may get one of those instead so I could sign my projects;)

So Stu, I look forward to see and update with your progress and trials with it!
Thanks for posting it and congratulations!:thumb:

This has got me to thinking. Wood burning tools and soldering irons 'look' a lot a like. I've got a real nice Well digital soldering station where you can just dial in the temperature you want.

Problem is I can't find any woodburning tips for it. So I went ahead and ordered a bunch of soldering tips for. There are some 'knife tips', so I'm thinking I might be able to grind/sharpen those up to be suitable for doing some woodburning.

I mainly want to be able to use it to sign my work. So we'll see how it goes!

so may we see some of your penmanship brent once yu acquire the tips and technique:) say the star spangled banner in times roman or some brush script:)

I'm afraid I've used computers for far to long to have any remnants of penmanship. Heck, I was never any good at it to begin with.

I'm just hoping to be able to come up with some kind of logo or design I can scratch into the wood...

I have read in the larger newspapers where some schools are dropping teaching cursive writing. Wonder if it really will go the way of shorthand? I have cheapie woodburner, have had thoughts of buying a nice one someday, this will be one I look at! Now all you have to do is get the hot tip mated to your carver and carve and burn at the same time!!!