Fight Club

Frank Fusco

Just tossing out an idea I plagiarized from a photo forum. A Fight Club.
Here is how it might work (subject to input from y'alls)
We pick a turning project. Something small like a pen, stopper, weed pot, etc.
Competitor would post a photo of the parts. e.g. for a pen, the kit and blank. The posting time would be the start time.
Within one hour a picture must be posted of the finished item. Post time would document the item was completed within the hour.
We could allow several days or a week for all who want to enter but only one entry permitted in that time.
A panel of volunteers (non-turners maybe?) would judge and declare the winner.
Wadda y'all think?

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, but I don’t think I am proficient enough to turn a pen from start to finish within a hour. I guess that would push me to become more proficient.

Not being a smoker, I’m not sure what one stores in a weed pot.:huh::thumb: Splain me?

Chuck, a weed pot is just a small vase not intended to hold water. Usually some dried flowers (weeds) are displayed in them. We could set a size limit. e.g. no more than 6" tall. I have made a number of these but, somehow, never saved a picture.
I agree, making a pen from scratch (cutting, drilling, gluing, turning, assembly) in an hour could be a challenge.
However, the time limit is not carved in Lignum Vitae yet. I'm just fishing for feedback.

i am not a turner frank but i think the time frame is gonna cause some non interst...you cant push folks into doing something fast and then have it judged...you be better off to make a certain object in the spinny world and have some criterias set and then do your judging..but then again its your thought or idea so do as you feel right amongst the folks involved..

Thanks Larry. But, I think having a time frame is an exciting part of the challenge.
That's only my opinion and why I am seeking others.
Saturday and Sundays are slow here, we will see what others think next week.

Frank,

Within that hour, one would also have to take a picture, do whatever manipulation that needs to be done with editing software (resizing, cropping, removal of shadows, etc.), then post it, which for me, means I would have 5 minutes to turn, finish and assemble the pen (I’m kinda slow in photography also.)

But if I would have to compete with Bruce who has turned many pens and could do it well within an hour, maybe I’ll just pass since I’m a beginner. I’ll wait until next year.

Frank,

Within that hour, one would also have to take a picture, do whatever manipulation that needs to be done with editing software (resizing, cropping, removal of shadows, etc.), then post it, which for me, means I would have 5 minutes to turn, finish and assemble the pen (I’m kinda slow in photography also.)

But if I would have to compete with Bruce who has turned many pens and could do it well within an hour, maybe I’ll just pass since I’m a beginner. I’ll wait until next year.

We haven't started anything yet. You can't quit yet. ;)
But, your comments would be taken into consideration. For some, like myself, taking, cropping and making minor editing changes to a photo of an item takes only a couple minutes. I'm no expert but software does make it easy. I use PhotoShop Element or Picassa most of the time.

This sounds fun, I don't do pens though so would have to do something else, weed pots are well under an hour, matbe 20 mins at the most so would have to think of something else, what about a goblet? Or maybe keep itopen to make an article in under an hour and then choose the wimnmner depending on what was made and how good it is?
Pete

P.S. Can I pinch the idea for another forum?

I'm far from being a real "turner" but have practiced a little on and off. I've actually completed a few pens to prove I could at least do smaller turnings. I'd probably have a go at the contest just for the heck of it. I just don't have a supply of fancy blanks to compete with most of you guys! :dunno:

Sounds interesting but that means that at that time the participants would need to have the parts needed already.

I'm not a turner, so I don't know if turners have several pens sets or bottle stoppers on a drawer waiting to be used:huh::dunno:

On the other hand, I would be concerned if due to the needed speed someone could put himself in danger by not paying enough attention to elementary safety procedures.

Sounds interesting but that means that at that time the participants would need to have the parts needed already.

I'm not a turner, so I don't know if turners have several pens sets or bottle stoppers on a drawer waiting to be used:huh::dunno:

On the other hand, I would be concerned if due to the needed speed someone could put himself in danger by not paying enough attention to elementary safety procedures.

Toni, most penturners have quite a few pen kits on hand. It is a, sorta, sub-category addiction to the main turning addiction.
I would certainly hope our people have the intelligence to use the usual precations. Besides, quality is important to 'winning', rushing won't produce good work.

Last edited:
It sounds good & there is probably is some that would be interested. How ever for me I have enough competition with myself being able to make something & have it turn out the way I intended for it to. I would rather enjoy taking my time & making an item & even stop working on it if I feel like it. In my younger days of yore I used to rush & push push push gotta get it done now. Care to guess how much I enjoyed my hobby or how many projects came out right? Noooo I'll take it slow & easy any day over being in a hurry. It's my hobby & doing it at my speed is why I have a hobby.

This is my time frame for turning a pen. This is a Euro Style with Black Titanium Finish, finished as below. I had everything set out and ready to go. This is another Pen for the Troops, my Step Son’s Brother in law, serving in the army in Iraq.

00:00: Took picture of blank and kit.
00:10: 10 Min - Measured pen tubes, cut blank to length, drilled blanks.
00:16: 06 min - Glued in tubes, sprayed with accelerator, trimmed blanks to top of tubes.
00:26: 10 min - Shaped blanks on lathe.
00:46 20 min - Sanded to 600 grit, Sanding with the grain after each sanding, blast with compressor.
00:56 10 min Finished using 2 coats of Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer sanded with 600 between coats, finished with three coats of Mylands High Build Friction Polish. sanded with 600 between coats.
01:02 6 min – Beall buffed with Tripoli, White Diamond Compound and Carnauba wax.
01: 09: 7 min – Assembled.
01: 17 - 8 min – Take finished picture, download both to computer, adjust on Photo Shop.
01:19 - 2 min - Download to Family Woodworking.

Right now, this is about as fast as I can do it and stay within my realm of comfort.

Attachments

• Pen 23 Start.JPG
    Pen 23 Start.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Pen 23 Bobote.JPG
    Pen 23 Bobote.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That's interesting. I sure would have to modify my methods to fit into a one or 1 1/2 hour time frame.
I usually spend two hours going through my boxes of blanks just to pick out exactly the 'right one'.
I let my epoxy set overnight for the tubes.
My sanding can take 30 min.
I wait 30 min to an hour between applications of finish, etc., etc.
Right now, it's just and idea subject to all kinds of rules yet to be decided upon.