Evolution for cyclone blower

Julio Navarro

Thought I wopuld share this transition as it came out pretty good.

I needed a transition for my blower. I wasnt happy with the Borg bought "register" type so I decided to make a custom fitted evolution.

I used a spread sheet calculator to determine the bends to transition form a 5-1/2"x7" rectangle to a 6-1/8" dia circle. (You can find a link for the calculator somewhere on Bill Pentz's website)

I plotted out a full scale template of the transition then transfered the shape to a 16gua sheet of galv steel.

jsw_evo01.jpg
Most of the tools for cutting

jsw_evo02.jpg
The templet

jsw_evo03.jpg
cutting it out

jsw_evo04.jpg
I taped it down to the sheet of galv steel so I could trace the shape

jsw_evo05.jpg
tracing the shape

jsw_evo06.jpg
I used a nail to mark the end and start of the lines.

jsw_evo07.jpg
my shape is done

jsw_evo08.jpg
connect the dents

jsw_evo09.jpg
looks good

jsw_evo10.jpg
I cut the sheet so I could trim the shape better.

jsw_evo11.jpg
Cutting the shape. Make sure you use these rubber plamed gloves, Best thing for handling sharp steel.

jsw_evo12.jpg
The template ready for bending

jsw_evo13.jpg
Piece of cake on the "Stu Ablett" Break(modified)

jsw_evo14.jpg
All the bends made

jsw_evo15.jpg
fits perfect

jsw_evo16.jpg
Now I can attach the 6" street elbow.

This gives me a good bend at a short distance. I made the evolution to only extend 4" since I did not have much room.

Last edited:
Too bad you had to use a 90 elbow instead of two 45, but the space thing can really suck!

Nice job, that brake looks like it works good! :thumb:

I've only used mine a handful of times, but each time, it is the only tool that would do the job, and for $10 in steel, it was worth it to me!

Nice job, as usual, Julio! :clap:

Nice work, Julio. You've proven that you can fit a square peg into a round hole. ;) Looks like this must be the week for sheet metal mods to DC systems, huh?

Thats funny Vaughn! I never thought of that...square peg in a round hole!

I saw your mods for the DC, Vaughn. Looks like you'll get nice performance from it now.

Thanks Stu! Your absolutely right, that is the only tool for that job.

I ordered the second filter from Wynn and should be here ina few days.

Ditto on more about the brake.

Also, nice shots. Did you have someone shoot you in action or did you stage each shot and use the remote or timed shutter?