A Couple of Cabinets

Here are two display cabinets I did for a client. It's their design, I just did the construction. The tall cabinet will sit on top of the small cabinet. The tall cabinet is 57" high and 13" deep, while the lower cabinet is 29 1/2" high (from the floor) and 15" deep. So when stacked, the combination is over 7' high. Both are about 36" wide. The tall cabinet will have glass shelves, which the client will supply.

The wood is walnut and there's a fair amount of veneer used in the project. I recommended earthquake straps be used on the top cabinet (attach to the top of the cabinet and the wall).

The doors on the upper cabinet fit so well that when you close the second door, you have to hold the first one you closed or it'll blow open. And I used bullet latches on them to hold them closed. The upper doors are fairly large so when you close one, you're moving a lot of air. If that bothers the client, I'll put some holes in the top to vent the air when the doors are being closed.

There's a story behind the cabinets which you can see more of here. The general design is a somewhat simplified Greene & Greene.

Mike

Attachments

• Cabinets-57.jpg
    Cabinets-57.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Cabinets-58.jpg
    Cabinets-58.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Cabinets-55.jpg
    Cabinets-55.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Cabinets-56.jpg
    Cabinets-56.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I delivered the cabinets today to Judy, the client. Just thought I'd post a picture of the cabinets installed in her home, to show what they look like. I was pleased with the way they came out and I think Judy was pleased also.

I now have to modify two existing cabinets she has.

Mike

Attachments

• Cabinets-59.jpg
    Cabinets-59.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 37
Gorgeous work Mike. The backstory is interesting as well. And your client sure does seem to like them!

I really like the details on the doors

Great job Mike, :thumb::thumb:it must be difficult to work a somebody else's project, specially if it has to please the other part with all the memories involved.

Mike, haven't had the chance to read the link provided, but the picture with the cabinet and client, I'd say she looked more than pleased. Plenty of reasons to understand her big smile, the fit and finish on that piece is more than wonderful. You hit a homerun with that display cabinet! Did you do any interior lighting with it?? Beautiful job Mike!

Very nice. I really enjoy walnut. The clean lines will help to set off whatever it is she plans to display. I imagine she is very happy with that. I know I would be.

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone. To reply to Jonathan's question - she wants lighting in the upper part of the cabinet but I just didn't want to do that - so she's getting someone else to do it. I don't really know what's available for that application so I'd have to do a lot of research to find the best approach. Better to leave that to someone who specializes in lighting.
Mike