Fight Club poll

would you participate in a woodturning 'Fight'?

• Yes, it sounds like fun.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • What's woodturning?

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frank Fusco

As I mention in the other thread, I'm fishing for feedback to the idea of a wood turning fight club. The way it would work, is an item is designated to be turned within a fixed period of time (e.g. one hour, or 1 1/2 hours). Those entering have to take a picture of the unmounted blank, or pen kit, or whatever and post the picture. The posting time would that persons starting time. They then turn the project, take another picture, or two, of the finished item and post that. The posting time shown lapsed would have to be within the limit specified for the 'fight'. Non-entering members would be 'volunteered' to be judges. For now, there are no prizes, just glory.
Wadda y'all think?

I... don't like to "turn on demand", against a deadline, or with a prescribed plan. When I turn, I like to get the blank round & then turn off my brains & let IT tell ME what it's going to be. Sometimes it takes a long time, too, to go from blank to finished object 'cause I usually start with a green blank & end up with dry. That takes WEEKS (would have been months, but I boil my rough bowls), which is why I've usually got several in progress at any one time.

Um... pens, though. That's twenty minutes flat, if ya don't count the lacquer drying time (I don't do CA)... I'm not sure there's enough variation in pens to make for a valid competition, though... and judging based on material doesn't judge the bodger.

I kind of like Tim in regards to turning on demand. Also, my turning time is usually not in sync with the rest of the guys around here. I tend to do most of my turning between about 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM.

I'd watch, but don't think I'd participate.

Like Vaughn, I'll watch but probably not participate. I can turn a pen in a matter of minutes but have only done a few so far. Anything else would be far too slow for me to do. "A man should know his limitations." :eek:

Besides ethics, what would stop a person from taking a picture of the project before starting, then after spending a couple of hours on it, taking another picture. Then (if I read the directions correctly) they post the beginning shot and then are to run out to their shop and start working. Within the time frame they are to send another picture of the completed project. So they type, like they are panting and then post the finished picture (which in essence was done days ago and took longer than the prescribed time?)

Besides ethics, what would stop a person from taking a picture of the project before starting, then after spending a couple of hours on it, taking another picture. Then (if I read the directions correctly) they post the beginning shot and then are to run out to their shop and start working. Within the time frame they are to send another picture of the completed project. So they type, like they are panting and then post the finished picture (which in essence was done days ago and took longer than the prescribed time?)

I don't believe we have that type of person here.
There is no financial profit involved, what would they gain from doing this?
The idea is supposed to be fun.

I’ll give it a try, what the heck. But I won’t push myself beyond my comfort zone or compromise on the way I like to turn and finish things.

I agree with Jonathan that there is opportunity for bending the rules:eek:, but from what I have seen so far, Frank is correct in that this would be for fun and we probably don't have anyone to worry about.:thumb:

I have a full plate for now, but it sounds like it would be fun to do later.

The poll is not looking too good at this time...

maybe it's a starting point to something even better!

Just an idea, but this could be a scheduled event...say on a Friday night, or weekend morning. Someone (Frank) could wave the green flag with the project...we could gather materials and take the pics, turn it and then...let the beatings begin!

Frank, excuse me if I am wrong in interpreting the original rules. It wasn't a timed event with you dropping the flag, it was a specific amount of time and we could start the time with our first post and had to post the completed project before time ran out. Correct?

I would agree with you that our current Family doesn't include a person of the negative caliber that would take advantage of the situation. But you know what happens when something becomes wildly popular. I was just thinking out loud and giving variables I didn't know if others had considered. At a later date it would be something fun to try. Maybe wooden pens, acrylic pens, snowmen, a variation of Chuck's snowman competition last year.

Frank, excuse me if I am wrong in interpreting the original rules. It wasn't a timed event with you dropping the flag, it was a specific amount of time and we could start the time with our first post and had to post the completed project before time ran out. Correct?

I would agree with you that our current Family doesn't include a person of the negative caliber that would take advantage of the situation. But you know what happens when something becomes wildly popular. I was just thinking out loud and giving variables I didn't know if others had considered. At a later date it would be something fun to try. Maybe wooden pens, acrylic pens, snowmen, a variation of Chuck's snowman competition last year.

Correct on the interpretation of the time thing.
As to someone 'cheating'. Methinks they would have other problems we are not capable of addressing here. The concept of 'fun' should not be hard to understand.

The other thing Frank, the title, I am thinking it is turning some people off or they aren't even tuning into your thread as their interest in "fighting" is not there. :dunno:

Hi. Who knows. I borrowed from a photography forum I recently joined. Their 'Fight Club' is very popular. Same idea but they have to take a picture and post within the hour. I believe that, after table top stuff and the bug in the yard, coming up with good creative work in that time frame could be challenging.

Well....I'm back.
Bunch who don't like the idea.
But, there are ten who do.
This was a poll, not a vote.
Will I try to set up a 'Fight'? Dunno, maybe. Ten entrants could make a fun challenge. I'll think on it.

Only reason I didn't vote is the timing is just bad for me. Got a bunch of other projects going on, otherwise I probably would have participated.