Sturdy Table for tractor implements

Rick Prosser

Now that the tractor shed is up, I need to start storing stuff.

I have two attachments for the front end loader. I have 3 (soon to be 4) rear attachments for the tractor.

In order to save space, I was thinking that I could store the FEL bucket and grapple on a table, and put a couple of rear attachments under them. The front end loader can hook up to the skid steer implements and drop them on the table without issue - :huh: I think

The table would need to be real sturdy - to hold around 1000 pounds fully loaded, and get banged around somewhat. 12 ft long, maybe 4 ft deep and 3-4 ft high.

Is this a bad idea?

Any good table design suggestions? I am thinking 4x4 legs and 2x4 edgewise on top - similar to workbench, but space between the 2x4s so dirt can fall thru. :dunno:

Last edited:
If you've got power down on the loader, the table's gonna' need to carry a LOT more weight than you think! Even if it's gravity-down, I'd add quite a bit of safety factor to the table - ever try to pick up a bucket that's all tangled in whatever machinery HAD been stored under it? Ain't level any more, it's hard to hook up to...

How about a steel rack for the bucket & grapple?

Rick, is this so you can store two pieces on the same piece of real estate (ie: stacking them without them actually touching each other? If so, hanging from the rafters, a set of chains for the front end loader. I find I don't take mine off. The rear (3 pt.) implements, I drop in a row outside in one pasture. The more hassle to put away, the less it will be put away correctly each time needed.

Here is a clunky diagram of what I am thinking. This table would sit in the back of the shed (12 ft wide bay).

Table.JPG

Usually, only one item on the table except when switching from one to the other.

Tim - yes, Power down, but I would let it settle with gravity (draft) - I would need real sturdy.

Steel table is plan B

No table is plan C (actually it's current:D)

Jonathan - I have been keeping them outside, but sometimes they sit a while and get covered with leaves, hide snakes, and fire ants seem to like setting up housekeeping. I really hate fire ants - specially if I am focused on getting things hooked up and not paying a lot of attention to where I am standing :eek: ...I like snakes, as long as I see them first ;)

Last edited:
rick, here is an idea based on my workbenches. the long front and back cross members, and the center front to back cross member would have to be notched where they intersect. the whole thing is put together with 2x6's and sheet rock screws.

Attachments

• workbench 2.jpg
    workbench 2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 19
My vote is still with the steel rack or table... and with legs MUCH futher apart than you now imagine... unless you can accurately get tractor attachments into much smaller spaces than I can without a whole lot of concentration. Me, I'd bump the heck out of something one way or another, someday... and fold a leg underneath & spill everything & have a big pile of steel to pick up before I could get back to doing what I was doing.

i`m in the leave `em on the ground camp.
hydraulics-n-gravity work well together.......if ya add wood to the mix it usually looses......if ya build "stout" racks out of steel it`ll cost ya dearly.....and if ya knock one over there goes the wall of your new building:eek:

Rick
With all due respect to Tod, I'm in the "everything under cover and put away" crowd.
You need some surplus warehouse pallet racking. This stuff is commonly used for this very purpose among many of my farmer-clients in my real job.
The racking comes in different weights, I suggest a corollary to the Larry Rule: Buy it Stout. Check the yellow pages.
Set your racking up at the back of one of your bays, level and plumb, on a good broad base, maybe some surplus railway ties or treated 8x8s (no concrete floor in your shed, as I recall). Tie the rack into the building. Get yourself a set of quick-attach forklift forks for the tractor for lifting stuff up.
Finally, put the implements each on their own solid hardwood pallet (the country's full of them) and tie them on with a ratchet strap.
You're in business!
Be safe!
Peter

Wow, looks like we go from one extreme to the other. From Jonathan's "leave em in the pasture" to Peter's racking with a "personal pallet" for each implement to rest on.

Dan - nice workbench design that should be sturdy enough.:thumb:

Tod - good point about building damage :eek: if things go badly.

Thanks to everyone for your comments - that's what I like about the forum. Two heads are better than one, so the more the merrier.

Maybe it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Will have to ponder this a bit more...:huh:

I have to admit, if you are going to rack them up in the building, Peter's idea is great, that would surely be the safe and simple way to do it.

Cheers!

rick, here is an idea based on my workbenches. the long front and back cross members, and the center front to back cross member would have to be notched where they intersect. the whole thing is put together with 2x6's and sheet rock screws.

Like the idea Dan though I would go with deck screws over sheet rock screws as they hold the weather better. last thing you want is something with 1000 lbs coming down unexpectantly. I would also suggest that you put some shelving on the lower cross members to accomidate a shelf to keep further things off the ground and tie the lower legs together. Also adding some cross bracing at the back of the bench if it is not going to be attached to the wall of your shop for more lateral strength. Just a thought:D

Last edited:
Like the idea Dan though I would go with deck screws over sheet rock screws as they hold the weather better. last thing you want is something with 1000 lbs coming down unexpectantly. I would also suggest that you put some shelving on the lower cross members to accomidate a shelf to keep further things off the ground and tie the lower legs together. Also adding some cross bracing at the back of the bench if it is not going to be attached to the wall of your shop for more lateral strength. Just a thought:D

drew, there is another long crossmember in back similar to the one in front. all 3 of the benches i have made for my power tools have shelves connecting the bottoms of the legs to stiffen that area up, as all 3 are on wheels. all 3 of my benches, and the mobile platform that the big lathe is on are put together with sheet rock screws. the one bench has a little over 300 lbs of tools and such on it, and the platform for the lathe has over 200 lbs of lathe, grinder and other items on it, and everything has been hauled in and out of the garage numerous times with out any racking or damage to the benches. imho, they're sturdy enough. rick's quick drawing suggested that the bench would be stationary. the first bench i built this way is a stationary one without a shelf at the bottom for my dad. he's taken apart just about everything you can think of on that bench, and the only damage it took was on the one corner of the top.

Rick, I completely agree that having them inside is better for the quality of the implement, for me it would have created a dangerous situation eventually if nothing else for my young 'uns that played (even though they were told not to) in it from time to time. If you have forks for the front end loader of your tractor, yeah, back in, drop the rear blade on a pallet/skid pull out turn around drive in, grab pallet with forks lift and place on shelving. Safe and easy. Make sure the shelving legs are on a concrete footings as they will be holding more weight than you can imagine and want them tied in and down so no catastrophic failures occur!! Single or two bottom mounted plows, a five or six foot mounted disc, these types of implements can be put away using this system as long as your tractor is safe with lifting them. Would be the envy of the tractor crowd and quite doable even though most don't. I just evaluate the cost of the equipment and the hazard and either shed it or leave it out depending on the category it falls into. Looking forward to seeing pictures of what you decide!

Rick
Jonathan pretty much describes how it would work, and the need for a solid base and tying-in.
Bottom line is it's an idea best used for occasional-use or out of season stuff (like your SC snowblower:)
If it's an implement you'll use every few days, you'll end up leaving it on the ground anyway.
Take care
Peter

I have decided to keep everything on the ground (under cover) at this point. I have room in the shed to spread everything around for now, and there is a lot of swapping going on with all the activities in process.

Later on down the road, I can re-evaluate the need/benefit of stacking implements.

Thanks for the great feedback.:thumb::thumb:

I do plan to build a bench (or two) in the shed using Dan's design for general work/storage tables.

IMHO, stacking would be a pain. What I've thought about doing is building a loft that I can put them under with storage for other items (i.e. lumber) above. Or building a lean-to out behind the shop and getting them all under cover out there. I'm (pardon the pun) leaning towards that route because of the headroom issues the loft would create even with my 12' ceilings.

I stored my brush hog outside for the first 2 years I owned it and the paint was badly faded and chalky. In some spots it was starting to rust. Don't want that happening again.

Being a "City Slicker" for the past 40 years it is hard to defend my statements but I came from a Farm and still have a lot of farming friends. I see farmers leaving equipment in the fields where-ever they last used it. and yet others who align them neatly awaiting their next use. (wonder which ones have the most issues when they need it next?)

We had and several of my friends have a "Carport" type roof along the side of the barn or behind the barn where impliments are storred, out of the rain and snow, etc. But you have to remember that as much damage comes from below as from the surface, Moisture raises from the ground and condenses on the cold equipment and is more damaging than a heavy rain. If I were to do it, I believe I would put down a plastic vapor barrier, cover with pea gravel, and also elevate on Pallets to keep a constant air flow.

GOOD POINT, Bill... and good solution, even if it doesn't cover the settling condensate issue. A lot of moisture DOES come up through the ground, and underside ventilation helps a lot, as does good drainage.

I think nearly any size of rock, from pea gravel to chestnut-size crushed to riprap, would work fine for keeping the moisture from wicking up. I don't think I'd lay down a barrier, though - that'd tend to trap a pool of water just below the surface, not letting it drain away. I'd go for a tight-weave weed barrier, though.