Desert Sun Hollow Form

Another piece of maple that was severely cracked but had enough character in the wood to justify at least making an effort.

Maple, 6 ½” diameter x 5 ¼” high, largest crack filled with bronze powder and CA, sanded to 400 and finished with several coats of gloss poly.

Desert Sun HF v1.JPG Desert Sun HF v2.JPG Desert Sun HF v3.JPG Desert Sun HF v4.JPG Desert Sun HF v5.JPG

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

looks very worthy of your touch steve:thumb: as for selling something like this does the cracks deter a sale or does the figure over take the flaws to make it saleble?

Good stuff, Steve. :clap: The colors and finish look great. The form isn't one of my favorites, but that's a personal thing...you still nailed it IMHO. :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

Larry - I haven't been pushing the sales aspect of turning yet - so really do not know if cracks will deter folks or not. I can see it would be a problem in a bowl but for a decorative piece - I have my fingers crossed that it will not be an issue.

This piece was dyed using RIT powdered fabric dye. First 2 coats were Scarlet and after it dried - applied 2 coats of yellow.

the rit dye,,, how is it for durability.. will it disappear in a few years????? not being a smart guy here in the printing world if yu dont use archival inks in the printers they turn red to orange quit fast from the sunlight.. just curius if this is the same term?

Larry - I have been advised to invest in some aniline dyes for future projects as the RIT will fade over time. I started out with the RIT as an experiment just to find out if I liked playing with color. I do. So, eventually I will move on to other types of dye after doing a little more research as to what is the latest and greatest out there these days. Been reading about some dye called Metal Acid that is supposed to be light-fast. Ever heard of that stuff?

Steve that is another great piece, I have to say, you are becoming a real crack addict :D in the best possible way :thumb: :wave:

Do spray the dye on, or....?

Cheers!

Hey Stu! Hope you and the family are all doing well!

I am sure there are any number of ways to dye stuff but what I do is mix some powdered dye with DNA in a small plastic butter container. Doesn't dissolve real well - so you have to stir it up fairly well. I apply using a 1" foam brush and saturate the turning. Depending on how vivid I want the end result - I may saturate the piece 2 or 3 times - letting it completely dry between coats. That is the main reason I like to use DNA instead of water - real fast drying time and it doesn't raise the grain as much as water.

Hey Stu! Hope you and the family are all doing well!

I am sure there are any number of ways to dye stuff but what I do is mix some powdered dye with DNA in a small plastic butter container. Doesn't dissolve real well - so you have to stir it up fairly well. I apply using a 1" foam brush and saturate the turning. Depending on how vivid I want the end result - I may saturate the piece 2 or 3 times - letting it completely dry between coats. That is the main reason I like to use DNA instead of water - real fast drying time and it doesn't raise the grain as much as water.

Thanks Steve, we are, the girls and my wife are off to Choir practice today, and the Mother-in-Law is off to a Ikebana expo, so I'm holding the fort :thumb:

Thanks for the info on the your method to dye your work, sound easier than spraying.

Cheers!