craft show results: day 3

Dan Noren

Staff member
sold 2 door stops. more than a handful of business cards went out. one lady wrote the types of wood i used and the price of the cutting boards, and there may be a commission for a board half again as big (mine are 12"x9"). talked with one guy and his wife, they liked what they saw, and were thinking xmas presents, and asked what other shows i would be at, and i told them that i would be there tomorrow, and sunday. when looking through the book of pics, he stopped at the pic of my couch, and asked my how much it would cost to make one, but slightly smaller, to fit in the intended area of thier house (craftsman style bungalow). i told him that it would be difficult to say, since without the size of the couch, and not knowing the latest price of qs white oak, i couldn't honestly set a price. but he has my card and knows how to get in contact with me. hope to sell more tomorrow....:thumb:

Last edited:
So its a Friday. Gotta think that Saturday will have some more traffic, right? Good luck tomorrow!

So its a Friday. Gotta think that Saturday will have some more traffic, right? Good luck tomorrow!

I was thinking the same thing. Here's hoping for good booth traffic Saturday and Sunday. I also hope the leads and feelers you got today turn into something good. You have a good assortment of merchandise, in a wide range of prices. I think that's an advantage in the current market.

craft show results: day 2

well, it was pretty much the same as yesterday, except there were people wandering about. (think of it this way, yesterday was like the original version of the movie, dawn of the dead, but without the dead people. today was the same, but with the dead people wandering around:rofl::rofl:). remembered to bring the camera home, this is a pic of the set up. the silly old guy behind the table is my dad.more business cards went out, and i may be needed to make a tv cabinet. sold a wine bottle holder, and a cutting board today, so doing better than yesterday. my wife said that god is going to have people buy everything, but the catch is that it will be 2 items per day.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

day 1 sales: $6
day 2 sales: $45

i can't wait to see what tomorrow brings... :D:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• craft show set up.JPG
    craft show set up.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Congrats Dan...if tomorrow improves as much as today did, your going to have a heck of a day! Spending some time with dad had to be nice too!

i hope so too bruce, with 4 down and 70 to go, it's starting to look a little grim for getting my bandsaw. i'll be happy if i make the $99 left of the $150 fee...:rolleyes:

Keep plugging away at it Dan. :thumb: Keep a positive attitude, because a dejected one really shows to the public. ;) Here's hoping you get WELL over the entry fee hump Sunday.

You've got good-looking products. Are the other vendors also having slow sales? If so, then it's likely the public is just being tight with their wallets. If they're getting lots of business and you're not, then where is their price range compared to yours? If they're selling lots of $2 to $5 items, and yours are priced at $20 to $50 (just an example...I have no idea what your prices are), then it may be simply a case of being in the wrong show for your products.

The bandsaw will come...you just might have to give it a bit more time. :)

day 3 results

well, i sat there for a whole 5 hours, looking incredibly good looking, for a sales grand total of zero, nothing, nada, zip, zilch.:( a lot of people looked, touched, picked up and handled, asked lots of questions (including how did i paint the lines so straight?, and how are the pieces of wood held together?):doh: the old invisible paintball gun got a really good workout today. a lot of double taps to the back of heads for stupid questions.

day 1 sales: $6
day 2 sales: $45
day 3 sales: $0

oh well....:rolleyes:

Wow, Really sorry to hear that.

It's their loss that they didn't buy your stuff!

I applaud your initiative in getting out there though.

What do the you think the odds are that the closer we get to Christmas the better the sales would be?

Aw man, that bites. :doh:Like Brent said, it's their loss.

If it makes you feel any better to know you're not alone in this, I've had two shows with nearly twice the entry fee you paid, and sold one $40 pen at each. You'll have better shows. :thumb:

Awwwww mannnnn. What Vaughn said!

I've been all over the place with shows this year too. Your work is definitely good, you just need to find your niche.

Were there any other woodworkers in the show??? How'd other vendors do??? What was the hot seller???

thanks barry, i was the only woodworker at the show. the tupperware gal behind me did pretty much ok, the guy selling magnetic jewelry did ok, and the guy selling some kind of pillow was doing better than ok. what i sold were 2 of the door stops (one to the pillow guy), a cutting board, and a wine bottle holder. people were taking the business cards that i had. one gal that stopped by wanted to know where i was this last september, as she wanted wine bottle holders like that as table decorations at her wedding. she said that she could find them easily in honduras (born there), but she was looking all over ebay, craigslist, and under large rocks, but couldn't find them. then one of her girlfriends from home said that she would bring them as a wedding present. so, who knows what will come of all the cards that went out?

who knows what will come of all the cards that went out?
Hi Dan; A lady friend that lives next door to me has a saying, and it can pertain to you passing all your business cards out.

"Don't hold your hand on your bum waiting for a call from those people, because it will grow there before you get that call".

It's been my experience that people take a business card to make you think you have an opportunity to make a sale without them having to spend any money.

Over the past year, at many Farmer's Markets, and Craft Shows, people have taken well over 200 - 300 of my cards without so much as one phone call. I also offer them a small display (125 - 150 pens) in my house to come and view my selection. No one has shown up as yet. But I still keep hoping! Christmas is approaching!