Big job ahead

Randy Wynn

:D Hi everybody, I'm getting ready to start on my new shop. First things first though. We are getting mini mobile container on Tuesday to put everything from the old shop into, while the new shop is built. The old shop and the new shop share part of the same foot print so I am going to have to tear the old one down before building the new one. The new shop is going to be 25' X 30'. The old one is 20' X 20'. Here is the look I'm after.(link below) The building in these photo's is only 16' X 20' so we're going to have to change some things. This is a big ordeal so I' am going to build this new shop heavy & stout Post and beam style. Instead of mortise & tenon though, I am going to be using steel angle and lag bolts at all the connections. I'm thinking 6" x 6" post and beams 6" X 6" steel angle and 1/2" plate steel for the connections. Then I can cut shoulder joints for the kickers. Any ideas are surely welcome and I will be posting pix of the progress as we move along. We plan on being completed by mid March. We are planning on this being a shop/office/store. Mostly shop though.Please look at all of the photos. Also there is a video of one being built. If you guys see anything you would change, please let me know. I am looking foward to this undertaking and can't wait for it to be complete. 8)

http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/16x20vc.asp

Randy that is great, but why so small? :huh: :dunno::rolleyes: :D

My Dungeon is 14' x 23' so your new shop will be almost exactly DOUBLE the size, boy what I could do with DOUBLE the space and ground level egress :eek:

Buy yourself a GOOD impact for all them lag screws you are going to do, maybe even think of an air impact if you got the compressor to handle it.

Cheers!

Randy,

Check out the latest Fine Woodworking Tools & Shops Annual Issue. In there, they have a post and beam constructed shop that looks very similiar to your picture.

That's pretty cool... are you gonna leave the Franklin stove and rockers in one corner... in case you get tired and need to sit... or some of the family shows up and you need a place to share the barley brew??:rofl::rofl:

That's pretty cool... are you gonna leave the Franklin stove and rockers in one corner... in case you get tired and need to sit... or some of the family shows up and you need a place to share the barley brew??:rofl::rofl:

I do have the perfect little stove for this building. It's alot like the one in the pix except it has a train on the front doors. Thats funny,... I have a train that comes by my house all the time. LOUD at night. But anyhow I'm going to put that stove in there for heat.:wave: