Differant form

Dennis Kranz

Didn't like this at first but now I want to do more. 7 1/2 X 1 1/2. As you can see worm hole goes all the way through. When I turned the piece the worm was not there. What ya think of it?
Dennis

saucer bowl 2 (600 x 400).jpg

saucer bowl 1 (600 x 400).jpg

I like it cause it is different. Breaking the mold of the rounded edges.

Makes me think the person that would be real good to have chime in on this topic would be Toni over in Spain. He is a Industrial Designer by profession and from what i learnt from these guys over the years, they get to know the trends and how curves or edges evolve almost like fashion.

So you could be starting somthing there Dennis.

As for worm hole, well for me its a part of the natural way the wooded ended up. I like it. The bowl aint going to be used to hold water.;)

I like your form... I've studied it pretty close and maybe when I get back out to the shop I'll try to copy.... I've done pieces that have the outside shape, but haven't hollowed the inside quite like yours.... I usually hollow just enough to take a tea light.

and like everyone else, the worm hole add character to the piece.

Makes me think the person that would be real good to have chime in on this topic would be Toni over in Spain. He is a Industrial Designer by profession and from what i learnt from these guys over the years, they get to know the trends and how curves or edges evolve almost like fashion.

Well Rob, I appreciate you confidence about me and I can't but chime in as you say;).

Denis, that is a great good looking bowl,what you have achieved here, is a "modern" look somewhat subdued by the lower part. To me it could be the starting point of a series in which you could play with the height and the top and bottom sections. ie. you could make bot curves concave, convex or one concave and the other convex.
If you have access to a 3d software like sketch up. I would play with revolved sections, to get a feel of it and then refine them on the lathe.

You could create a lip on the top following the same criteria. and depending on the height and where you put its ecuador line (major diameter section) you can achieve great results.

As per the worm hole, heck! that must have been a big worm!

Last edited:
looks like yu have been visiting jeff bower latly:) only you ran the lathe longer than he does on one piece.. yu took out more of the wood:) looks nice and the hole doesnt hurt it abit:thumb::thumb:

Hey guys thanks for all the great things that you said. Didn't think it would go over as well as it did.
Not sure what kind of wood it is. Thought it might be Oak. If you think differant please say so.
Dennis

Hey guys thanks for all the great things that you said. Didn't think it would go over as well as it did.
Not sure what kind of wood it is. Thought it might be Oak. If you think differant please say so.
Dennis

Can't say for certain, but it does look a little like some of the red oak I've been working with lately... at any rate, it's a very nice piece... I really like the lines.

Oak was what I was thinking too, but that might be because I have 5" of oak shavings on the floor right now...my hands are black and everything is rusty! :doh:

Nice job, Dennis. That's a very cool piece of wood, and although the form is not one of my personal favorites, the form you did, you did well. :thumb: