Mike Wenzloff Saw Making Class

Bill Satko

As you can see from Mike Wenzloff's blog, he is doing a two day saw building class at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking using his saw kits. Actually he is doing two of these classes; April 24/25 and July 10/11. There is a link to the school on his blog. The school also has an advanced peek of their classes for 2010.

For those of you who don't know Mike, he is one of the top custom hand saw makers out there. Lee Valley and The Best Things carry a supply of his saws. He is probably best known for duplicating the Kenyon saws from the Seaton chest. Mike use to be active here at Family Woodworking early in its infancy. You can check out his saws at his website.

I plan to attend one of the classes . I am wanting to build some panel saws.

I also have a special interest in Mike's classes, because I suggested the possiblity of this class to Tim Lawson of the Port Townsend School. I am glad that Tim and Mike were able to make it happen.

Last edited:
Geez Bill, your getting some great instruction in this year, first Garrett Hack, and now Mike :thumb:

Say "Hi" to Mike for me, a long while back, I expressed intrests in buying one of his saws, he told me "No way, buy a kit, you will enjoy making it yourself" and one of these days I'm going to order one of his kits :D

Cheers!

Geez Bill, your getting some great instruction in this year, first Garrett Hack, and now Mike :thumb:

Say "Hi" to Mike for me, a long while back, I expressed intrests in buying one of his saws, he told me "No way, buy a kit, you will enjoy making it yourself" and one of these days I'm going to order one of his kits :D

Cheers!

I will say Hi for you, Stu. I actually took a tool sharpening class (plane blades and chisels) from Mike about 4 years ago when I was working in Oregon. I would come home every other weekend because of the long drive and was looking for something to kill time on the weekend. I noticed a one day sharpening class being held at the Tigard Woodcraft and signed up. When I showed up and found out the instructors name, I matched it up with the "Wenzloff" posting at SMC. We had a great conversation about the everything going on over there. I think all the pioneers here remember all the stuff going down over there at that time (just before the big breakaway). Anyway, I was able to spend a day getting his view of sharpening and shoot the bull with him. It was a small class so there was plenty of time to talk shop. I have emailed him about a saw, but it will be great to have him show us how he goes about shaping a handle and sharpening a saw.

Garrett Hack is returning to Port Townsend in May for a 6 day class. The advance word is the class will build a cabinet. He also will be doing a 5 day decorative details class the following week. I am probably going to sign up for the cabinet class and am tempted to do the other class also, but don't know if I can afford the time off. Too many great classes and too little time and money. They are offering more weekend classes which makes it easier for us locals. We don't have to burn up our vacation time. They also have a Shaving Horse in a Weekend class that is interesting me.

For those of you that might be interested in any of these classes, here is a link to the school's sneak peek of their 2010 classes. << LINK >>

good deal bill.. glad yur gettin some instruction from him as well..get all yu can while yu can..the good ole boys arent here forever!!

You are right Larry, Mike is a good old boy. He has a very no nonsense approach to woodworking. I picked that up from his sharpening class. His approach to sharpening was to get it done so he could continue to work wood. It was not a end in itself, but a means to work wood. He was a good balance to my desire at the time to make an art out of it. It is a lesson from him that I try to remember. I don't know if he was intentionally trying to teach that, but it is the one thing I came away from the class with.

He also is one sharp dude. No pun intended, but he does have an in depth knowledge of many aspects of woodworking; saws being the obvious one.

Last edited: