Sandpaper

Don't know if this belongs under the "Woodworking Q&A" because it's not a question... more of a statement. But I've always had a HUGE assortment of sandpaper laying around the house. It was cheap junk from HOBO (store in WI) or Harbor Freight. I do not know who ever bought this stuff and why we had so much of it, but since it was around of course I'm going to use it :) Most of it is gone and I've run out of variety, so I went on a sandpaper buying frenzy.

I bought large packs of 80-600 grits of the Norton 3x sandpaper. What a difference. Obviously the higher grit you go, the faster it wears out, but even saying that, it is like night and day. I am a pretty firm believer (w/ a few exceptions) in "you get what you pay for" and this goes along with it.

Anyone else know of some nice sandpaper?

...what an exciting topic I've created I know :rolleyes: :)

I discovered the same thing a few years ago after using up the collected and inherited 20 to 50 year old stuff I'd accumulated. Now I buy the Norton 3X sheets (80, 120, and 220) and disks (same grits) for my 5" and 6" RO sanders. I haven't seen the higher grits in the 3X locally, so I also keep the black wet or dry sheets in stock from 320 to 600 grit. For the lathe, I've been using the gold "wave" disks from 80 to 600 grit. There are others that are supposed to be as good or better, but I've not invested in trying any of them yet.

OK... I'll bite...

I use Mirka from Peachtree Woodworking. I use standard and wet/dry Link

I had to get it organized !!!!

IMG_2345.jpg

Hey thanks for the response guys.

Vaughn I shouldn't have said 3x for 80-600 grit. I believe the highest I could find the 3x was in 400 grit. Then I got the black wet/dry sheets you speak of for 600 grit. I have yet to attempt making a 2" sanding pad for inside bowls yet, nor have I checked into buying the "wave" disks for them. I know I posted something regarding this a couple of months ago and you even responded with a website that sells them for a good price. I'll look back to it when the times comes. I am terrible at asking questions on here... then everyone responds with tons of information and resources and I never act upon it or respond right away :doh: So my apologies to anyone if it doesn't seem like I am appreciating your responses :) ...I need to work on that :)

Bartee, thanks for the link. Those are some good prices for sandpaper and I will remember this post next time I need some. No problem with keeping that sandpaper organized! I like your rack. Sometime within the next week I want to start building a cabinet for the lower part of my lathe. Inside the cabinet will be a rack similar to yours, keeping all of the sandpaper organized :thumb: I might even pre-cut sizes I want to use for pens, etc. Right now everything is just stacked up on a shelf under the lathe on it's stand... it gets annoying cleaning up the curlies this way.

Glenn thanks for the suggestions, will check into them when the time comes.

Thanks everyone

The name escapes me now, but there is a brand of sandpaper made here that really works well, and for a long time, it is more expensive than the other stuff per sheet, but I've found it is cheaper to use, as it lasts a lot longer and works better.

For the 2" wave discs, I've switched from the Gold Wave Discs to the >> Klingspor Scalloped-Edge discs << that link only shows the 10 packs, but I buy the 50 packs for $13.95, maybe not the cheapest, but like I say, they work better and last longer for me.

Ha!!

I finally found it, Eagle Abrasives 'Finkat' .......

>> Finkat <<

..... it really is the best dry sheet sandpaper I've found yet, from #40 all the way up to #600.

Cheers!